Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 
Lion Mom

New lights for tanks?

OK - it has been a LONG time since I have changed the tubes in my hoods, so want some opinions.

I have been adding low light plants to my tanks recently (they seem to be doing well) and am considering one of these two lights to purchase:

Flora Sun with 8500K

or

Tropic Sun with 5500K

Opinions? Other suggestions?

Need something that is pretty budget friendly!

Thanks!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #2 
Neelie

unfortunetly i cant answer to your post, but i would like to bump this thread up for you so maybe someone can help you
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Thanks, Neelie, but I went ahead & ordered them & have received them already.

Went with the Flora Sun on my 38 gal. tank (which has the most plants & has a double tube strip) and the Tropic Sun for my two 10 gal. tanks. Everything looks good so far! :)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #4 
Neelie

oh good glad to hear!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You want the kelvin rating to be in the 6500-6700k area for best plant growth and is close to what the sun emits at high noon I believe

I use the regular $5. GE bulbs at wall mart daylight 6500k on my planted tanks and I also change them every 6 months-old bulbs can cause problems with algae and the plants can't use them well for growth even though they still light and you can see in the tank..you start getting diatoms or plant growth slow it may be old bulbs.....

It seems if the product has aquarium written on it..it will cost more...lol.....I have to look for low cost methods because I have so many tanks and on a budget.....lol.....I replace about 16 bulbs every 6 month at the same time I change the batteries in the smoke detectors.......and time change..laffs.......helps me remember that way....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You want the kelvin rating to be in the 6500-6700k area for best plant growth and is close to what the sun emits at high noon I believe

I use the regular $5. GE bulbs at wall mart daylight 6500k on my planted tanks and I also change them every 6 months-old bulbs can cause problems with algae and the plants can't use them well for growth even though they still light and you can see in the tank..you start getting diatoms or plant growth slow it may be old bulbs.....

It seems if the product has aquarium written on it..it will cost more...lol.....I have to look for low cost methods because I have so many tanks and on a budget.....lol.....I replace about 16 bulbs every 6 month at the same time I change the batteries in the smoke detectors.......and time change..laffs.......helps me remember that way....lol......
I sure know what you mean about a budget, OFL - LOL!!!! I try, I try.......

In any event, the Flora Sun tubes I got have on the box "Max Plant Growth" so I sure HOPE they are the right thing!!!

I thought you only had to change them once a year???
Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

That is just for the type I use and I also have a longer photoperiod of 12 hours, I think some of the bulbs are based on hours used too and that often calculates to 12 months.....I start getting diatom and stalled growth in the 6 month area and a bulb change always fixes it...

I think the bulb you bought will be fine and you will know soon enough....the plants will tell you...lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

I'm sure they will! :)

One thing I do have to comment on with these new tubes - the colors on the fish just POP!!! They are absolutely stunning!!!

OK - another question, as alway. :)

I often hear about low light, medium light & high light plants. How many watts per gallon constitutes low light? Med. light? High light?

Thanks!!!