Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #21 
Islandgaliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquitos View Post
Yeah best results with the Thundershirt happen when you train WITH the shirt as well.

Please realize it is not a miracle cure!! You have to make the shirt a "positive" thing first, and then work on desensitizing along with using it as a tool for helping calm the dog down.
I thought I found a miracle cure with Ceasars books...I just can't get my dog to read them...
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #22 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgaliam View Post
I thought I found a miracle cure with Ceasars books...I just can't get my dog to read them...
xD
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #23 
Sathori

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquitos View Post
Yeah best results with the Thundershirt happen when you train WITH the shirt as well.

Please realize it is not a miracle cure!! You have to make the shirt a "positive" thing first, and then work on desensitizing along with using it as a tool for helping calm the dog down.
+1 to taquitos.
The trick with these shirts and other training tools is remember that they are just helping you reach your ultimate goal - not a simple fix.

The Thunder Shirt did not make my dog love car rides, but it brought her down from full blown panic when a semi drove by, to light panting and some shaking. This is far more manageable and allows me to actually get through to her so I can correct and reward certain behaviour.

When a dog is in panic mode, or really anxious, you cannot reason with them, so the Thunder Shirt, or natural calming treats (or sometimes the combination of the two) bring your dog's anxiety down a level or two so that you can use positive training to bring them down to the level you are looking for.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #24 
Kithy

He's been doing a lot better. Treats are just the best bribery. I've had the shirt off of him for the last few days and he seems like he feels less anxious around my son. He and the other dog are doing... whatever they normally do. Chasing and playing but that's fine. It doesn't usually escalate these days.

It seems like Meeko is really over protective of me though. If Nanaki is biting my foot he immediately pushes himself between us and tries to snap at him. I'm not sure how to curb this though I try not to facilitate it too much.

Overall they're pretty young dogs so I imagine they will chill out to a degree (as much as a pom can) eventually. The energy level I can manage but the anxiety had to be dealt with. I think I was just overly worried at first because he really did seem like he was pouting when I put it on him.

And to make sure everyone gets their cute fix for the day here is the pathetic doggie after I let him out of his kennel.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #25 
Islandgaliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
He's been doing a lot better. Treats are just the best bribery. I've had the shirt off of him for the last few days and he seems like he feels less anxious around my son. He and the other dog are doing... whatever they normally do. Chasing and playing but that's fine. It doesn't usually escalate these days.

It seems like Meeko is really over protective of me though. If Nanaki is biting my foot he immediately pushes himself between us and tries to snap at him. I'm not sure how to curb this though I try not to facilitate it too much.

Overall they're pretty young dogs so I imagine they will chill out to a degree (as much as a pom can) eventually. The energy level I can manage but the anxiety had to be dealt with. I think I was just overly worried at first because he really did seem like he was pouting when I put it on him.

And to make sure everyone gets their cute fix for the day here is the pathetic doggie after I let him out of his kennel.
What a cutie...love the color, and of course that face :)
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #26 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgaliam View Post
What a cutie...love the color, and of course that face :)
He's so pretty. I almost regret neutering him but I just don't know his parents and don't want to risk having puppies with genetic defects and things. I wanna keep him healthy for as long as I can, he's my little shadow.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #27 
taquitos

Awww what a cutie!!!

And such a typical pom lol being protective of his mommy!

Best thing to do is remove access to you when he does that. My dog tries to be protective of me when other dogs approach me. He will jump on my lap and growl if I let him. The moment he does that, he loses the privilege of being on my lap or being anywhere near me lol. I'll then pet the other dog, etc. and reward Meeko after I have given the other dog attention.
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #28 
Kithy

He's something else lol I feel very safe with him because he can bite the check out of someone's hand like five times in a few seconds.

I will have to try that though. Nanaki rarely comes to me for attention but when he does Meeko shoves him away.