Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #11 
pettygil

Do I have to buy female Platies, or all male platies, ok to have? Just asking. If I do have to buy female platies, how many females do I buy, if I have 5 platies?
pettygil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettygil View Post
Ok, the problem is the Betta is attacking my platy fish. So you are saying if I buy 3 more platy fish, then my Betta will stop nipping the platy fish?

Should I take the Betta back to the store, or hope for the best? I do not know what to do. The bowl I have is too small for my Betta.

I have 2 platies, 3 more would make 5 Platies. The platy is nipping the other platy, so if I buy 3 more male platies, then that should stop, the nipping?

Do I have to buy female Platies, or all male platies, ok to have? Just asking.

I do have One male Betta in a 5 gallon and he is male. He is all by himself. The other Betta I have in a ten gallon and is male to. I don't know if the other Betta would be nice to my platies, then again that is a 5 gallon tank, so prob too small I would think.
how large is the tank?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #13 
pettygil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
how large is the tank?
I have a ten gallon with 2 platies and one male Betta
I have a 5 gallon with one male Betta.
A bowl is not a tank, if that is what you are asking.
The bowl is way too small and can't be heated for one thing, which I will need to do in the winter. I am throwing the bowl out, is no use to me, or my fish.

Here is a picture of the fish bowl and I am not sticking my Betta in, it's too small. It's Betta abuse to stick in a bowl that tiny.

Last edited by pettygil; 08-26-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #14 
pettygil

I read on many message boards and talked with many Fish experts and they all told me any tank under 5 gallons, is way too small for a Betta. So even though I have the fish bowl I will never use it. I can't even heat it for another thing. And the water quality would suck as I can't stick a filter in a bowl.

Really a Betta should have a Ten gallon. It is the best set up, but 5 gallons is an ok set up for a Betta. Not too bad, but could be better. Just like Glo fish should have a 20 gallon, some people stick Glo fish in a ten gallon. Not that the fish will die, just the best set up is a 20 gallon for Glo fish.

And my weird insane postings come from talking to too many fish experts, who told me for a ten gallon tank, that 2 platies and one Betta is all my tank can handle, or I am over stocking my 10 Gallon, with 4 fish.

I was told take out all the Carbon from my filter and leave it that way, it doesn't hurt anything, unless I wanted to remove medication, if I used some, which I have not so far. I just added Aquarium salt to the fish tanks. I am then to place the white pad inside the filter, without the Carbon.

Also some people told me I don't even need the Carbon to take out medication, that a 25 percent water change will do just that.

I am to rinse my filter pads in tank water, never tap water, as that removes all good bacteria. So I only rinse my sponge, or pad in tank water.

Last edited by pettygil; 08-26-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #15 
Phoxly

On the platy rules, it is actually best to have one male, to every 2 females. So 2 males and 3 females would be fine, but you already have 3 males.. Maybe get more males lol. Male sorority?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #16 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
On the platy rules, it is actually best to have one male, to every 2 females. So 2 males and 3 females would be fine, but you already have 3 males.. Maybe get more males lol. Male sorority?
That would be a fraternity LOL
Ah, if only we could breed the aggressiveness out of male bettas then we could have frats! (They better behave...) That would be awesome.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #17 
bettalover2033

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettygil View Post
I have a ten gallon with 2 platies and one male Betta
I have a 5 gallon with one male Betta.
A bowl is not a tank, if that is what you are asking.
The bowl is way too small and can't be heated for one thing, which I will need to do in the winter. I am throwing the bowl out, is no use to me, or my fish.

Here is a picture of the fish bowl and I am not sticking my Betta in, it's too small. It's Betta abuse to stick in a bowl that tiny.

no no no DONT throw it out use it as a hospital tank such as fungus or finrot or other diseases. if not then mail it to me lol;)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #18 
pettygil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
My tanks set up now. I took Betta back to the store. I now have 2 male platies and one female platy, that is all.

I wish I would have known that because I just bought a female platy. I read it was 2 males, for a female, that must of been wrong then.

I am cycling my tank and I don't want too many fish in the tank for now.

I just noticed the one male Platy chasing and biting the female. Should I get another Female at least?
I have 2 male platies and one female. Damn pet store people, never know what they are doing, then online I read it's 2 males for a female, that is why i bought the Female Platy, which looks a little orange and on the sides of the fish I notice some of the skin is a little worn off. Unless that is normal for a growing female platy. The Female platy looks ok otherwise. If it's not normal how would i treat it? I do use aquarium Salt and sometimes Melifix, is that ok to use?

Last edited by pettygil; 08-26-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #19 
Phoxly

"Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Sunset Coral Dwarf Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females."

I'm not fully sure about taking care of platies, I've never had any, or don't have any yet haha. Ask the tropical fish forum, the sister to bettafish.com?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote