Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #1 
Phoxly

Sleeping Bettas.....

Okay I turned off my tank light early today due to algae issues and cleaned it aswell, but when I turned the light back on 3-4 hours later my boy was floating at the top of the tank, on his side sorta on top of the co2 ladder. I imediately assumed he was dead, no movement for 45 seconds, grabbed his fish net and poked him. And I don't know who was more terrified, him, or me. He probably jumped out of the water 2-5 times in a matter of 3 seconds trying to escape the evil net. >__< Anyone else have scares like this with their bettas?

After he swam away, he just sorta floated to the bottom of the tank between two leaves and resumed his comotose state, I brushed my teeth, got ready for bed, and now he's chipper and zippy like he usually is...

Was he sleeping?

I changed my water a day late this time, as my nitrates were lower than they usually are, so I was quick to think I did something wrong D:
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #2 
LoveSGSE

I don't think bettas sleep like this...
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #3 
Min

Dont know about the sleeping on the side part but ive suprised a few of mine while they were sleeping. They have scared me though they do look sick or worse dead sometimes.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #4 
Phoxly

Well he seems fine now, but it was a dramatic experience lol. He kinda looked at me like "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOIN?" after it happened lol.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #5 
vanish3d

my betta reaction is kind of the same cept it doesnt float on it's side just floats upto of the tank like hes in suspended animation lol or else he will sleep on the bottom of the tank in a somewhat L shape figure.
vanish3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #6 
vanish3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
After he swam away, he just sorta floated to the bottom of the tank between two leaves and resumed his comotose state,
:
that is completly normal for a betta to do, dont stress to much.
also keep in mind that bettas become lethargic/unactive if the water temp is to low of a degree, seeing as tho you changed your water im assuming the water temp might of drop somewhat considerably.. correct me if im wrong. Other then keeping that in mind everything else you said is quite normale betta behavior.

Last edited by vanish3d; 08-27-2010 at 09:43 AM.
vanish3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #7 
Jdh

My Betta sleeps on the bottom of his tank every night. Tropical fish natrually sleep at night and hunt during the day, so it's normal to see your betta lounging when it's dark. As long as there's no signs of ick or finrot and he's active during the day, he's fine.
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #8 
Phoxly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish3d View Post
that is completly normal for a betta to do, dont stress to much.
also keep in mind that bettas become lethargic/unactive if the water temp is to low of a degree, seeing as tho you changed your water im assuming the water temp might of drop somewhat considerably.. correct me if im wrong. Other then keeping that in mind everything else you said is quite normale betta behavior.
My water comes out of the tap at 83 degrees on the coldest setting :( curse Las Vegas lol. but thanks for the help.

He wasn't fully on his side, just kinda slanted.

Sometimes he'll dive to the bottom of the tank and literally wedge himself vertically down between the tank glass and a leaf and stay there for like 5 seconds, scares the crap out of me. I swear he just suddenly died or something weird then he swims off normally.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #9 
derpmeister

One time I saw Toki floating around at the top of his tank on his side, being gently pushed around by the small current from the filter. He was very pale. I thought for sure he was dead. So I poked him with a plastic spoon I use for soaking food, and to my shock, he got up and started swimming around and flaring at the spoon lol. Yep, he was just sleeping. I've only seen him do the floating at the top of the tank thing once though (thank god).

Otherwise he likes to sleep in his betta log at night. He lies down in it on his side.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #10 
Ajones108

There was one time late at night that I couldn't find my fish. Figured he was hiding in his cave so I just walked away. Looked again like 2 hours later, still didn't see him... I was getting worried. I turned the light on, tapped at the glass slightly which normally makes him appear out of his cave. No sign. Fearing he might have climbed into his cave and got stuck to where he couldn't get water, I took the top of the tank off and slowly began lifting the cave out of the water. Waited, waited.. Then suddenly, ZOOM! Out comes fish out of the cave thinking WTF is happening?! I nearly had a heartattack. I put the cave back down and crawled back into bed shaking. >_> Silly fish.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote