Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #11 
vaygirl

There's no reason for you to clear up MY experience of something not working. They did not work. I'm 38 years old. I know how to follow instructions. I did exactly what you described. Not only did they fail to read nitrate, they had my ph pegged above 8. It was 7.4. Maybe you use a different strip? These were the Mardel 5 in 1.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #12 
FloridaBettas239

sorry I didn't mean it that way, When I bought them the guy told me a lot of people bring them back saying they dont work or a lot of people get bad reading's because they dont dip the strip in the water the right. So thats what I meant, I just didnt know if that happen to you and mabey thats why you were having trouble... I just dont see a conpany making a product that dont work maybe something happen to the strip's you got during shipping whatever. They tell you take one out a close it up right away, they dont want know moisture getting in the bottle or anything could make the strip's bad,, I dont know. But the strip's I use are the 5-1 made by jungle... and also the ammonia one made by jungle... and there accurate enough to keep fry alive...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #13 
Ajones108

I've always heard horror stories about strips and they can be so pricey. I'm glad I made the investment for my liquid testing kit. Was only about $18 on Foster and Smith Aquatics at the time. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #14 
vaygirl

Maybe I did get a bad batch. I like to be very exacting though so I rely on liquid because of my bad experience. I promise I don't work for API and I am not trying to drum up their business. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #15 
FloridaBettas239

Oh I love API I just dont care to go over and take this water sample then unscrew this stuff, then drop a couple drops in. Watch what color it turns, compare that to the test chart. And then do it all over again to test the next thing.
The jungle strip's are awesome you just dip and go....

Now I am in the process of building a 55 gallon reef tank!!! And I wouldn't use my strips on that. I will use my API kit with the dust all over it from sitting around here not being used... The only reason I wont use the strips is because its a saltwater reef tank, which if it was a fish only saltwater I would use them but its a reef tank and everything needs to be checked a lot and the strip's would be gone in almost 2 weeks so the API kit pays off and is perfect for that.
But bettas, and my breeding room, half the time i dont test the water. I use sponge filters and never clean them but maybe 2 times a year, so they have a nice bacteria built up in them when I test the tanks theres never a problem. I have never had sick fish or anything besides ick on my 55 a while back. Bettas are so easy to care for, In my stupid days before I was fully informed. I would temp shock them, change 20% of the water on my 1.5 gallon every 2 months, It did have a little under gravle filter but 2 month no water changes, I put them in divided tanks where they could see each other and get stressed..... Knock on wood I have never had a problem, As long as you understand the bio cycle on a fish tank and understand what number's go up when you over feed, what numbers go up when you over stock etc... As long as you understand all that then you shouldn't have a problem...

Please don't try this at home!!!! My best friend let his fresh water 55 gal go over 9 months without doing water changes, just toping the tank off, He changed the filter cartridge every 6 months... He didn't care about the tank because he has saltwater.... Anyway I used his API test kit when I was over there and tested the tank which read.
nitrite 0
nitrate 0.5 or 1
chlorine 0
and he has well water so it was hard
The only reason he is able to go this long is because its a 55 gal, And he had aquatic life for every part of the tank... Bottom feeders and cleaners,,, Anyway the tetra program say to do 25% water changes every 2 weeks!!
But 1 gallon containers should be changed often
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote