Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #1 
Ajones108

Update on my fish, and new concerns

I haven't been around in a bit, for good reason! I moved back into college on the 18th, transported Shif back into the dorm, put him in a medium sized critter keeper because his 2.5 gal is going to get cycled very soon. At first when we moved back in he seemed a little lethargic but no big problems. He gets 2-3 pellets daily, this tank is a little wider than his other one but not much bigger, heated to 78-80 degrees, under a cool white light bulb occasionally during the day, the room is completely dark at night with no natural lighting as he is currently on my desk out of the room right now, probably going to move him back to the bedroom when I filter.

I have the bacteria for the tank, the filter, getting a new live plant and new gravel because I fear I spoiled the tank, getting some vinegar, finally found that ammonia everyone was talking about at Ace - Janitor strength? It's the only kind, but I googled pure ammonia tank cycle and a lot of people said that was the right thing in the results I got.

However. The past couple days, the fish poop issue has returned. Normally I ignored it because if his poop was all hanging it would fall off later, no big deal. But it seems to be staying longer, like hes constipated, but not bloated. He wasn't acting really differently, and before I did the 100% water change a couple days ago he even had a lovely bubble nest going but when it collapsed he didn't build it again. I had AQ salt in the water and decided to give him all freshwater this time around because he had salt water for awhile. Before I did the WC, I checked the water with the testing kit and I felt like such a bad fish mommy. It hadn't been that long since his last WC but nitrates were reading max on the API strip, PH was nearing 8, and ammonia wasn't too bad but the nitrates were spiked, did the WC, fish was fine. Then the poop thing. And now, it seems as if, he can't poop. He has a little bit hanging out, but it seems like he's starting to get lethargic.

He's on Atison's Betta Food and he loves it, still eats quickly, but I wonder if this food just doesn't agree with him. Sometimes the poop comes out brown, and other times white and stringy, but not really parasite-esque. Should I suspect parasites and get a 1g hospital tank and dose him with something? I have Malachite Green but its only for external stuff like Ich and Velvet.

ALSO!

I went on vacation to Jersey for a week before I came back to school. Neighbour fed the fish occasionally, I did a 50% WC before I left because that's all I had time to do... came back, water was SO cloudy, but the fish was VERY lively still. Didn't even bother testing the water, IMMEDIATELY changed it. He didn't seem too harmed by it, just wouldn't flare for a few days.

Do you think my keystrokes could be disturbing his tank water? I can see the water slightly moving as I type. >>

Okay sorry for all the questions and long stuff, its been awhile ;-; Help please? <3
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #2 
Ajones108

I'm still looking for solutions. Bumping this back up since I get all sad seeing lethargic fish.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #3 
betta99

have you tried that whole pea-treatment? some people don't believe in it but it works for my fish. just boil a pea and peel the outer skin off. then feed him some of the pea and let him go foodless for a day or two. that might solve the problem. if it continues the problem might just be the food.
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #4 
Ajones108

I haven't tried the pea treatment because I currently don't have access to frozen peas to boil, and I've heard mixed feelings about it, if he really is just a heavy pooper I don't want to upset him. He's not bloated, just constipated.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta99 View Post
have you tried that whole pea-treatment? some people don't believe in it but it works for my fish. just boil a pea and peel the outer skin off. then feed him some of the pea and let him go foodless for a day or two. that might solve the problem. if it continues the problem might just be the food.

Yes it may work for your fish , but using it long-term can and will cause long term Damage.

A betta fishes digestive system is NOT designed for digesting vegetables/plant matter.

A live/Freeze dried/Frozen Daphnia can be used instead as its better for the betta fish than vegetables.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #6 
Ajones108

I just got home from a long day of classes and gym and whatnot and the status of the fish poop has not changed; he's still got a little bit sticking out but not much. However, a newer update: He seems to be becoming more pale on his underside and on the top right side of his head it look like there is something white/fuzzy there... Its too small to tell if its ich or not, he could have just hit himself on something. I've got the Malachite Green nearby and if the condition worsens overnight and I can confirm ich I'll be going to the pet store to get a 1g hospital tank. The rays of his finneage are bent all sorts of directions and he seems like he's kind of okay but still pretty lethargic compared to normal.

I want to do a WC but its far too late tonight and tomorrow I have a 2:45 eye appointment back at home about 50 min away, think a siphon will be okay for now? I don't want to startle him too much.