Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #1 
Euphie101

Not Able To Eat?

I got my fish, Euphrates (Euphie, for short) a few days ago. I feed him pellets, but he seems unable to digest them or keep them in his mouth. He eats one, then after a few seconds, spits it out, then tries to eat it, then spits it out. Usually on the third try he's able to keep it down, but after a few minutes, he spits it out again. I'm worried he's not able to eat, and isnt getting the proper nutrition.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 
Adastra

It's normal for fish to be finicky about taking new food. Some fish are just brats, and they won't eat certain brands. It may help if you presoak the food in a bit of tank water until it is waterlogged and then break it into smaller bits.

If this doesn't work, you should consider switching brands. I recommend OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets, Atison's Betta Pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, and New Life Spectrum brands. They are very nutritious and are accepted by all my fish. It is also a good idea to add frozen food to their diet a few times a week for variety--after all, no single pellet can offer the fish complete nutrition. I use hikari's frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, and daphnia.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #3 
Euphie101

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into new brands if Euphie doesnt start taking the food presoaked, and I'll also keep in mind thge frozen foods. Thanks :)
Old 08-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #4 
Euphie101

I tried out your suggestion of pre-soaking the food, and he ate the food and only a teeny bit he spit out. I think with a little frozen food he'll be alright. I'm glad he isnt spitting out the whole pellet now =)