Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #1 
MrVampire181

Neat jar ideas

Ok so here's some cheap ways to get jars for those males:

Plastic cups: Like 24 to 32 ounces (so about a quart). You can 50 CHEAP!!! Plus if one is infected you can throw one out and have another 50 to replace it.

Food containers: LikeGladware containers work great. A bit more expensive but still worth it.

Mason jars: You can get these things for about $10 for a case of 12. Awesome right :)

Pickle jars: Saving pickle jars can save a lot of money. Just rinse them out really well before use.

Pasta sauce jars: These work great too!! Just be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 08-29-2010 at 02:45 AM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #2 
LoveSGSE

Cool! but the pasta sauce jars here are really small...
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSGSE View Post
Cool! but the pasta sauce jars here are really small...
Really? The smallest here are one quart.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #4 
LoveSGSE

Yeah, smaller than a quart
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSGSE View Post
Yeah, smaller than a quart
Dang. Well I'm going to start using the cup idea, whatever works for you is the best. It's cheap and takes up less room plus the bettas still have a quart of water.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #6 
weluvbettas

The cup idea is great!! I had thought of that idea aswell because they are so cheap and easy to clean and there good if you cant afford loads of massive grow out tanks.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
The cup idea is great!! I had thought of that idea aswell because they are so cheap and easy to clean and there good if you cant afford loads of massive grow out tanks.
Yup plus you dont have to spend a $1.50 a jar (and you need at least 50) instead you can spend $6 on a pack of 50 cups. Though I have a difficult time finding any bigger than 16 ounces but if you clean often you sohuld be fine with that size as well.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #8 
weluvbettas

yer i agree. say mr v have you got your fish room set up yet?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
yer i agree. say mr v have you got your fish room set up yet?
Nope :( I'm in the process of designing it. I'm thinking of asking my parents to get rid of our family office since we're all getting laptops and turn it into a fish room. I doubt they'll agree so I drew up another plan:

Im going to take everything out of my closet and add 4 more shelves (I already have 1). And take off my doors. That'll be my mini fish room. Big enough for 2 spawns at a time.

Plus I placed some cups in the shelf today and it fits 20 cups across and its far back so I could put a spawning tank on the exsisting one.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #10 
purplemuffin

Good ideas! :) I like that! Haha, my family already saves jars and containers.. its funny, there is a plastic container to hold a meal...I forgot the brand, didn't like the food.. But.. Actually turned out to be the perfect size to transport a gecko to the vet! After being thoroughly cleaned out of course! It even had holes already in the top! Sorta fun finding things like that.

Heehee, I keep finding my way back to the breeding section of the forum :) Oops! I'm sorry, I love looking at all these spawn logs and getting to see little babies! Plus I'm addicted to learning this stuff :) You'd think I was interested in breeding these guys from all the reading I've been doing! Still don't even have one fish yet, LOL! (Don't worry though, I know I stick my nose into random areas of fishy research, but it's all for the love of figuring it out, I'm not going to go headfirst into bettas and start off breeding or anything the second I get one! I just like being informed in the case of any future emergency, especially if it ends up someone I know DOES jump off the deep end into breeding and they do it wrong, maybe I can help prevent mistakes and fishy lives lost!)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote