Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #11 
Bettas are Betta

Oh i just bought a 10 galloncfor my newest buddy, Ramen. what do you think i can maybe plop in there to clean the gravel??
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #12 
Fermin

I'll post my standard reply to these types of questions:

It really depends on your betta's personality. Some are sweethearts who don't seem to mind having tankmates; others are psychopathic killers who will murder anything that moves (I have both types of bettas).

If your betta has a sweetheart personality, you can try adding a tankmate. This should be something that in no way resembles another betta (so avoid anything colorful and with long flowy fins).

Keep in mind that if it doesn't work out you will need to remove either the betta or the new tankmate and house them separately. This means that now you will have 2 tanks to care for.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #13 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas are Betta View Post
Actually when i brought out that tank from the garage the whole thing was a covered in a thick layer of dark green algae and there is still a few spots with big dots getting bigger and bigger and its really hard to get out of the corners of the tank and all that goodness! :P
woah O.O They probably had it in direct sunlight with a very poor stressed out fish then... also I see your post on the ten gallon. I have absolutely NO idea. =P But before you buy any fish to put in there, (duh) make sure its ok with the other fish. Here's the less obvious part though; if you get any bottom feeder AFTER algae is growing in, find out what type of algae first and look up whether that particular bottom feeder would eat it.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #14 
JKfish

For your ten gallon, a small group of cory cats would work, but keep in mind they don't just eat scraps, they need to be fed as well, and you'd still have to gravel vac. Same goes for shrimps, which are little vaccumes on legs.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #15 
Bettas are Betta

Hmmmm... Vaccumes on legs eh? I might try some shrimp out! lol!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #16 
JKfish

Yep. :) Though, they're greedy little buggers. I started out with 6 ghost shrimps in my tank, and the larger ones kept stealing from my smaler ones, even though I dropped food down there for them to nibble on. Eventually, some got sick, and now I'm only left with one, but he still manages to keep the whole tank pretty clean of food ^_^.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #17 
Bettas are Betta

Cool :)
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #18 
IanHulett

Umm, I know this topic is almost 4 years old, but I have a tank infested with pond and bladder snails and even using medication for Ich added with aquarium salt, all those snails are still alive and healthy. There's now between about 20 and 40% of the medication and salt left. If the bladder/pond snails survived this, will my mystery snail be okay?

I'm still removing the salt and meds.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #19 
SweetCheeksMum

I'm not sure about the mystery snail, I've never had a pet snail just the little annoying ones that are impossible to grt rid of. I had a snail infestation a few years back. They were nearly impossible to get rid of. I tried everything, it would slow them down a little. For a few days until they were everywhere again. It was terrible. I ended up having to tear the tank down, scrub everything really well and let it thoroughly dry out for like 6 weeks. My friend suggested drying it out for a few weeks, but I went with 6 just to make sure I wouldnt have to deal with that again.That was the only thing that worked for me. I had a full blown infestation tho.
SweetCheeksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #20 
IanHulett

Should've bought assassin snails.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote