Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #891 
BettaLover1313

Not much to report on. Work has been keeping me really busy. So busy, that I almost forgot that the Father's Day Fishing Derby is this Saturday! Luckily, I got signed up for it. Not only is it fun, but I really do enjoy spending that time with my grandfather, and afterwards with my grandmother too. Even if she does drive me up the wall sometimes.

Furry pets are doing well, though Lucky recently got hold of one of Renji's toys and ripped it to shreds. Renji hasn't seemed to notice that it was missing.

Fish wise, everyone is doing well from bettas to snails. Snails are happily noming away at whatever they can find. Merlin is enjoying his 5 gallon space still, and utilizing it to the max. Molly has pretty much settled in. She's adorable and quite a contrast to Merlin still. I think she might have grown slightly, but I feel like that's more my wishful thinking. Whatever the case, she's healthy and happy, and so is Merlin!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #892 
BettaLover1313

Whew! Long week last week, and this one will be longer since my boss will be on vacation all week leaving the assistant manager, myself, and the second assistant manager in charge of the store . Can anyone else sense "chaos". I know tomorrow will be chaos for me since 1) I'm working the sub station, which is probably my least favorite job & 2) I'm stocking the subs which I have no clue how to stock...yeah, fun!

Fishing Derby went really well. There wasn't as many families this year though, which was a bit of a bummer. Even if I like being able to safely walk the docks without fear of fish hooks, it was weird not having so many kids/families. The best part of the derby though, was that my grandfather and I were actually on the dock that my little cousin was fishing on, which we've never been able to do before. So we got to measure her two fish that she caught as well as everyone else's on our dock. Biggest fish I measure was a 15-3/4" Large Mouth Bass. The smallest fish that I measured was a 13-1/4" White Bass that a little boy caught-he was so adorable he actually tied my cousin with most fish on our dock (2). Back to that White Bass though...yeah, I didn't like him very much. I went to grab him so I could put him back in the water and his head smashed against my hand. Admittedly, I should have grabbed closer to his hand, but dang did that hurt! My hand throbbed for the long 45 minutes left of the derby after that. The White Bass did make it back into the water all on his own; apparently he wanted to plop himself in. Another funny incident that occurred, was that one of our dock workers lost their chair, due to the wind, into the lake. I felt bad for him, but it was so funny with the kids running up to me (I was walking down to the other dock worker's end of the dock since he went to talk to my grandfather) and yelling "A chair fell in the water! We couldn't save it! We really tried!" Anyway, my cousin didn't get any prizes for largest fish caught, or even most caught (7 & 8 were the most caught in age divisions). She did however, win a new fishing pool in a raffle. Biggest fish overall of the derby was a 21" Walleye that was caught on a different dock (largest on ours was 17" Bass).

A wonderful sign that lists (most) species of fish in our lake. There's a couple missing/it's not very specific, especially since we have more than one variety of Muskie in the lake. Otherwise, it's pretty accurate. The Fish Hatchery, who hosts the derby, stocks the Walleye in the lake.

Lovely shot of the lake from the pavilion.

Picture one of my cousin's 7-1/2" Sunfish.

Another picture of it with a bobber in the shot.

And my grandfather starting to measure it.

Cousin's father holding her Small Mouth Bass of 14-1/2".

Very unhappy bass, but very happy dad. What you can't see is him grinning proudly since my cousin reeled this fellow in all by herself, which is pretty impressive if you ask me.

Dock that my grandfather and I worked on and where my cousin caught her two fish. This usually is a good dock to fish from since it's so close to shore.

Fun fact, we had a very large fish prowling around this dock and the one next to it. Someone's line was snapped by a fish and another kid (who I felt really bad for) pulled in just a fish's head. I'm assuming it was one of our large Muskie that are in the lake since our Pike don't get that big and are not very fat (they look like thin pipes). So there was definitely a big fish around. No one caught it though. It was just there for the easy meals.

The rest of last week, and today my mom and I have been working on weeding my garden. We just have one more row to try and clean out after this morning, much to our happiness. I finally got my stuff organized from college today and I still can't find my watercolors and what's worse, I seemingly misplaced my PS3 gaming system too since I can't find that either . I was hoping to see if it would work with the TV my one co-worker, who's moving, let me have, since they were getting a newer one. I figured I'd have to buy some more watercolors, but there is no way I can buy a new game system. I KNOW it's somewhere in this house, as I remember bringing it in from the cars, it's just a matter of WHERE it went that is eluding me.

Lucky & Renji are doing well. Renji just went to the vet to get his nails clipped and Lucky will probably be going in to Pet Smart to get groomed when I get paid near the end of this week. Both of them have been big cuddle bugs recently, Lucky in particular. He is basically my shadow and follows me everywhere. I feel bad that he can't have a walk today, but it's too warm for one. Renji is currently cuddled up in a chair (his throne), and Lucky is laying on the floor next to me, looking pooped after a hard day of following me around as I cleaned my room and organized my stuff from college.

Merlin & Molly are doing well, they just got a water change yesterday. I think I have finally managed to keep the snails on their own sides with this new tank and barrier as they haven't climbed over the barrier and tried to get to each other. Sad as that kind of is, I'm quite glad since that means no more attempts at snail eggs! Merlin is his usual grumpy self. He really doesn't seem to notice Molly, which is a relief, and Molly has stopped trying to get over to his side (at least to my knowledge). Mom has really warmed up to Molly, as she likes that every time she comes in my room Molly swims up and says "Hi" to her. This is compared to Merlin, who typically flares at her .

With Molly, I can't really tell if she's grown any or not (probably to soon to tell too) but she has gained some more color, including some orange on her head. She's such a cutie! She's definitely fun to watch as she swims around her side of the tank. I definitely need to add a decoration or two to her side and Merlin's. Something that they can swim in would be good...just not sure what... I kind of wish I still had Merlin's pyramid since that would have fit now (or at least I think it would have). Oh well! I'll figure something out, I usually do!

Now for some betta pictures!

Merlin had a lovely photo shoot:

Then there was Molly...

I am a good girl!

Many blurred shots later

You can see some of the orange/yellow she has coming in on her head.

Can see the orange/yellow on top of her head too.

Food?

Love that pretty blue!

Definitely more blue has come in.

And a horrible attempt at a size comparison picture (Molly is too far back). Only downside to them ignoring each other is that they really don't go near the barrier at the same time anymore unless they're getting fed.

Yep, that's about it for me on what's been going on. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my day off now! Toodles!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #893 
BettaLover1313

Bah! I forgot to mention that I did get to ride Banjo for the first time on Saturday. It was...interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about riding him yet since this first time wasn't exactly a good start. Crystal started neighing at him and that's when he became difficult to control to the point that I decided to dismount. He is a sweet horse, and I did enjoy the ride before Crystal started neighing since he was very responsive and eager to go. The owner thought that his eagerness to actually go somewhere might have been part of the problem too. Regardless, I hope to ride Banjo again and learn more about him and, hopefully, come to love riding him as much as I loved riding Zip.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #894 
BettaLover1313

I swear every time that I look at Molly she's changed more in color! The orange coloring has traveled a bit further, making me really question what color she'll settle on. (Tis orange coloring right? I'm not overlooking something?) I'm starting to wonder if she's taking nips out of Merlin's tail though, since this morning, Merlin was being silly and was nearest his plant near the barrier and I got a first hand sight of how quickly she darts over to the barrier when his tail was showing through on her side . Didn't get there in time to bite, luckily, but it really makes me wonder. I gave up hope a long time ago of Merlin's tail ever looking nice, but I don't want her taking chunks out of it either.

Tried to get a picture of her flaring just now/tried to entice her to flare with a mirror. No dice. She ran away from her reflection or just stared at it. No flaring *sigh*. I'm assuming she's a delta tail, as the one time I did see her flare, I don't remember her tail being at 180 degrees. So until she shows me otherwise, I'm considering her a delta tail.

Work actually went well yesterday, though I still hate working the sub shift. Thankfully I'll only have to work it once a week (unless someone calls in sick). Also, for the next two days I get to go in later (also meaning I get off later), but I'm enjoying the time I get to sleep in.

We've had storms the past couple days, and I learned today that my school was hit by a EF-2 class tornado. Several of the new dorm buildings took damage along with several of the class halls. From what I've read, no one was injured, thankfully, but it's still a scary thought. I've always been wary of the weather up there simply because it is in a state known for getting tornadoes.

So far, here at home, we've just had some severe thunderstorms. Lucky and Renji have been doing well, they haven't been worried about the storms, which keeps my mom and I reassured, for the most part. Another downside to these storms is that we haven't been able to go out and finish weeding out the garden and more weeds have popped up where we have already pulled them from.

Might post later tonight when I get back from work, not sure. Hopefully everyone has a good day!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #895 
Fenghuang

Molly is super adorable. She resembles a less marbled version of the HMPK I just bought today. Honestly I thought the pictures of her from different angles were all different girls at first. My brain is mush today... xD

I hope you guys stay safe. My college is in an area that can get pretty bad flash flooding. And I learnt right before the beginning of finals week that we were in a tornado zone and it was under tornado watch. O_o But luckily, nothing happened and I'm back up north now.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #896 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Molly is super adorable. She resembles a less marbled version of the HMPK I just bought today. Honestly I thought the pictures of her from different angles were all different girls at first. My brain is mush today... xD

I hope you guys stay safe. My college is in an area that can get pretty bad flash flooding. And I learnt right before the beginning of finals week that we were in a tornado zone and it was under tornado watch. O_o But luckily, nothing happened and I'm back up north now.
Thanks! It is easy to do with all the different photos and how odd her coloring is right now.

I did learn via emails that classes resumed today along with new student registration, so that's all good. Now it's just repairing the buildings and helping the community as well. I kind of wish I was up there to offer help, but I really wouldn't know what to do to even start.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #897 
BettaLover1313

Last night at work went better than I anticipated. My co-workers were great to work with, now if only tonight would go the same way. It's doubtful though, since, just from what I've heard, neither one in the kitchen has a very good work ethic, and sounds like they might challenge my authority...yipee . Hopefully, I'm worrying over nothing and just the mere presence of "the kitchen boss" will be enough to make them work. Putting the soap box away now .

Today has been going good so far. I got a lot of work stuff done already that I was asked to do last night. Also, I gave Lucky a long walk, which he greatly appreciated and he's currently asleep under my chair-he's so cute! Brushed both him and Renji. Lucky was quite easy as he's a short hair, but my goodness with the cat! I kept brushing him, and brushing him, and brushing him, and I still didn't get all the loose hair off of him! I could have made a whole another cat with what came off of him! I think I need to go back to brushing him once a day or every other day. That was a bit ridiculous with the amount of fur that came off of him!

Fish are doing well. They are happy that the fasting day yesterday is over and done with. It's nice having two fish again. I love Merlin to bits, but it's always neat seeing how another betta differs in personality compared to him. Merlin is still quite the grump compared to Molly, but he does seem to get along better with her than he did Dragoon. I know he did miss having someone next-door as he has perked up with Molly next-door to him. Molly loves trying to sneak peeks at him whenever she catches a glimpse of him near one of the barrier edges. I wish she'd stop trying to squeeze through though (>.<).

Recently, I've been trying to figure out what to do with the small, cube "aquarium" I bought as a photo tank. I haven't been using it as such, and I'm just trying to figure out what I could do with it. I've been thinking of maybe making it into a fake aquarium or something like that. I've got several ideas bopping around in my head:

-Fake Aquarium
I could go a couple routes with this one including just having a couple ceramic koi in it to making a variety of ceramic fish that I like and putting them in there with fake plants.

-Fake Terrarium
Reptiles/amphibians aren't really my cup of tea. I think they're cool, but I know I couldn't raise them, so maybe a fake terrarium is the way to go and that way I could do a bit more in "landscaping" and "aquascaping". This idea is inspired by Bon-AppetEats Altoid tin pond:

-Mini Train Display
Much as I know my one uncle would love this idea, I'm not really considering this one too much because I really don't have any trains small enough to fit in the cube, much less tracks, and I also really don't have. I do, however, have a lot of "landscaping" material from the larger scale train display I was going to make/still have to make.

I'm not really considering any live fish or invertebrates as I can only have one tank at college (admittedly, my room mate would probably be nice and say it was hers) but I can't really think of anything small enough that could thrive in that tank apart from shrimp (not for me) or snails, and I quite like my two Nerites, but I can't see a whole mini tank dedicated to one or two.

The tank I'm debating about doing...something with:

Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #898 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You could always put it on a window sill if it's large enough to sit something and grow extra stems of plants in a mini NPT style tank! It would be pretty much self-sufficient so you really wouldn't have to do anything for it except make sure it has enough light is all.

I love the look of that mini fake aquarium though! That frog!!! So cute, I died!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #899 
BettaLover1313

Work has been murder this week! Boss had vacation (which she needed) so the second assistant and I were essentially in charge. I learned that I've got at least three employees that really don't like that I'm the new kitchen manager/that the position even exists. Plus, yesterday, we were completely overwhelmed with customers due to the nice day we finally had after a week of nothing but storms/rain. All three of us in the store could not get all our stuff done and we all felt horrible about it. Plus, everyone wanted ice which we ran out of in both back stock and from our ice machine (which was being slow -.-') just not a good day yesterday. Hopefully tonight will be better, even though I'm working register, which I'm not fully comfortable with yet... My boss was going to come and help near the end of my shift. Just one more day to get through and then I'm off Monday and then back to the grindstone come Tuesday.

I'm hoping to get Lucky in tomorrow for some grooming as he definitely needs a bath and possibly a nail trim. He hasn't been liking how much I'm working/ the weird hours that I've had to work (one night I had to come in at 12:30am to give a co-worker a half hour break and then I went right back home after that). Lucky has also discovered that my bean bag chair makes a wonderful nest whenever I'm not actually in my room.

Renji has been doing well. He got his nails cut earlier this week and has been in a better mood now that his claws aren't so long. He's also been more cuddly as of late, but not quite to the point of wanting to lay in my lap yet. He hasn't done that in awhile to be honest. Probably because he knows the dog will come over and try and nose him off.

Merlin & Molly have been doing well, and people really seem to like her. She is quite adorable! Her most adorable antic that I've recently noticed is that when I enter or even walk around my room she'll follow me and end up on the same side of the tank as me. It's beyond adorable! Merlin is doing well. He seems quite content to be honest. He still flares, of course, at me and his reflection, but overall, he seems very happy.

Snails are also doing well, nomming away at whatever they are finding be it the algae or anything else. The tank is actually due for a water change today so I need to try and do that before I leave for work later.

Pictures!

Molly and her adorableness. Look at the color she's gotten!

Those ragged fins >.< I just missed a shot of him with the leaf draped over him. He backed up and gave me that look instead.

Some more attempts at size comparison shots. I think Molly has actually gotten a bit bigger. She doesn't like quite as small as when she first came. Is that just me? I mean she looks like she's maybe half Merlin's size now instead of only a third of his size.

I should try and get a picture of them together when they're eating. Unfortunately, they both are similar in that if I'm near the tank feeding them, they pay more attention to me than their food and just wiggle (in their own ways) continuously.

Ah! Before I forget, I tipped over their food jar and boy were they excited! Just constant darting as they stared at the food just outside their tank in a pile that was mocking them. The accusing stares I got as I put it back in the jar was quite comical! Merlin, of course, flared at me once I put the lid back on the container.

I'm going to finish off my cheese cake before I really start getting ready for work! Hopefully you'll hear from me again before next week .
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #900 
BettaLover1313

Work did not go very well last night. Right off the bat I set off an alarm accidentally (luckily I knew the procedure to make sure the police actually didn't come). Then, I told a customer we didn't have something when we did (found this out much later that evening), and on top of that I got rid of old coffee and made some new stuff...except I forgot to turn off the nozzle and I had about a quarter of each container on the counter & floor (funny thing about that though-I did one of those slides that you usually see on TV shows when someone is trying to stop something, that was pretty cool). And to add insult to injury I dumped water on my shoe. I'm sure if my boss watched video today she got a good chuckle at all of my plight. She didn't come in, but I don't blame her. She had one of my co-workers leave me a list of stuff to do (that I did complete).

Anyway! Enough about work woes!

Remember when I said Renji hadn't laid in my lap for awhile? Well, pretty much right after I posted that he curled up in my lap for a brief nap. However, it was interrupted by the dog and he took a couple swats at him before leaving my lap. Lucky prompty crawled behind me in the chair .

I just tried playing fetch with him and the only downside with this is that he gets bored with the game easily/doesn't see the point of him just chasing the toy and bringing it back. Goofy puppy. He'd much rather play tug-of-war or be chased around the house.

Did a water change yesterday, much to Merlin & Molly's delight. They both like following the gravel vac around and giving me heart attacks. I almost got Merlin's tail at one point due to how close he was and how he maneuvered around it. I did remove some of the dead plant leaves that I had noticed as well as replanting some plants that had become uprooted/I hadn't planted very well. I also moved one of the plants that was being dominated by the anubias. I'm hoping it'll make a nice comeback.