Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #21 
Bluebetta90

hey i didnt know they needed to be seperated that doesnt make me a bad fish owner!
Bluebetta90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #22 
naturegirl243

You not a bad fish owner cause you are concerned and trying to do something about it you were mis informed and you parents like most belive the stupid adults at petstore over the kids that know what they are talking about, but one probably both are going to get injured and very stressed and one maybe both will die if they stay together much longer.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #23 
Bluebetta90

i seperated them and im gonna try to ge a divider tonight. im closing this thread, and thanks for your advice all of u
Bluebetta90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #24 
naturegirl243

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #25 
1fish2fish

I'm sorry to say but your fish are not going to live very long in that set up.

Like I said 1 gallon is too small for 1 fish, let alone two. Without proper room to move around your fish are going to get extremely bored and stressed out. Also with this set up you will have to completely change the water every single day. If you don't, harmful waste products will build up in your tank and will eventually cause your fish to die slow and painful deaths. You also need a heater because bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at constant temperatures of 76-82*F year round, with out that they will have compromised immune systems and will eventually catch disease.

The next time your parents want to get you a pet I would make them seriously consider the care needs of that animal and do research before getting the animal. There is no such thing as a cheap pet and there is no fish on this planet that will be happy in 1/2 gallon of water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #26 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebetta90 View Post
hey i didnt know they needed to be seperated that doesnt make me a bad fish owner!
Thats statement is contradicting.

A person who want to be a responsible fish owner does all their research beforehand. I did. I mean, you have access to the internet!!!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #27 
ReyesBetta

I'm 13 and in 8th grade starting next week and I save every penny I get to buy my betta stuff, I've even got about $75 to buy another setup!
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #28 
Betta Slave

Agreed with Alex09- I'm not trying to come across as rude, but, as with every pet, you should have done your research before you purchased your bettas.

And yes, a divided one gal will NOT be big enough for the two of them. That's a half gal for both of them. Imagine living in a space that small. They need at least 2 gallons or higher.

If you get an allowance, save up. If not, do some extra work around the house or stuff like that to earn money. That will help you with buying bigger homes for your bettas.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 08-31-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #29 
ReyesBetta

When I got my red VT the lady at Petsmart told me I should get a "girlfriend" for him... however I knew this wasn't healthy, so I told her no. You should've kinda read the simplest guide on bettas first; at my Petsmart they have a betta care sheet (although its largely false, it does say males must be kept alone) right next to the bettas.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #30 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'm sorry to say but your fish are not going to live very long in that set up.

Like I said 1 gallon is too small for 1 fish, let alone two. Without proper room to move around your fish are going to get extremely bored and stressed out. Also with this set up you will have to completely change the water every single day. If you don't, harmful waste products will build up in your tank and will eventually cause your fish to die slow and painful deaths. You also need a heater because bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at constant temperatures of 76-82*F year round, with out that they will have compromised immune systems and will eventually catch disease.

The next time your parents want to get you a pet I would make them seriously consider the care needs of that animal and do research before getting the animal. There is no such thing as a cheap pet and there is no fish on this planet that will be happy in 1/2 gallon of water.
Exactally! once your fish die, I would suggest not getting any other pets until you have enough money and the proper environment for them.Fish are alot of work I used to not know anything about bettas only had two before I knew nothing the first one lived in a .5 gallon "betta kit" I did not know any better I thought that it what they were supossed to live in.We learn by trying so keep trying to be a good fish owner redeem yourself and get them the proper environments.If these guys surrvive save up and keep getting them more stuff I am only 17 and my fish are all separated and in nice environments.The key to parents is just keep trying keep showing them things that bettas need to live seprately and eventually they will come around, hey my mom now has two females(separated) and she is going to do a sorrority tank soon.good luck with your bettas your going to need it.