Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #1 
Mahsfish

Mahsfish's journal

I had a journal way back. I thought I'd start another one. I will be updating it on a weekly basis as long as there is stuff to talk about. Feel free to join in.

I just recently set up a 10 gallon with apistogramma paduro. Aka blue sky cichlid. I will post some pictures of them. I have 1 male and 3 females they are all around 1.5"

First pics are of my fish. Last 2 are of what they look like as adults. Males get nice blue and females are yellow with the black spot.
Attached Images

Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Nice apistos. I have always wanted a pair of Apistogramma baenschi inka 50.

Have you thought about doing a blackwater style tank for them?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #3 
Mahsfish

Yea I have actually thought of that. I'm trying to get some nice drift wood. Maybe like a stump with the roots kinda thing. I'm not sure on the plants and stuff though.

I would really appreciate any suggestions and help on this.

I actually had no clue what I was going to get for this tank. This specific LFS is my favorite. They have great prices and a 2 for 1 every second Saturday in the month. Which was yesterday.

The store is about 30-40 mins from me so I don't visit it often and it always gets new shipments. The only think I dislike is their dead fish policy is only 3 days with a water sample. Water sample isn't a huge deal but I feel like 3 days is a bit short. Especially since they sell very expensive fish aswell. Lots of high quality discus and arrows aswell as plecos.

I'm also iffy on the whole planted tank thing. I've never done it before. And last time I had plants I got overrun with snails in my duckweed. But if you could help me out I'll defs try.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

What I have seen in most apisto tanks is sand as the substrate, maybe with a couple of handfuls of peat moss over the top (I do this but over aqua soil in my wild betta tanks). There are usually a few IALs, and then most apisto keepers only seem to use floating plants such as Amazon Frogbit. I suppose duckweed or dwarf water lettuce would work as well.

I've also seen a really nice set-up that used pennywort and Amazon swords. It looked like a flooded forest.

I suppose crypts would work as well and you could use something like hornwort or watersprite as a floater.

Honestly, all my wild betta tanks are planted and I don't do anything more than turn the light on during the day and prune back the watersprite when it gets out of control. I have the odd snail and I do get algae, but that's the whole idea of my tanks. I don't want sterile looking 'nature' aquariums. I want something that actually resembles a slice of the real nature.

Plants like swords, crypts, pennywort, and watersprite are very easy to grow and maintain. Put some root tabs in the sand under your crypts and swords and they will love it. Pennywort and watersprite basically just grows itself.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:52 AM   #5 
Mahsfish

Okay thanks. I will have to find me some sand. Or I've got some small fine gravel. I just need to use some sorts strainer as it for mixed in with larger gravel.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #6 
Mahsfish

Some more pictures. They are starting to settle in better. Fed frozen blood worms last night and they started eating right away.

What else can I feed them. The food I have is frozen blood worms, frozen daphnia, hikari cichlid staple pellets, flake food, shrimp pellets and algae wafers.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #7 
Mahsfish

Selling my 50 gal and my 5 gal. Plus all my bettas on Friday to someone. That'll leave me with a 10 gal and a 20 gal. And the 4 A.panduro plus a lone hybrid peacock fry that I'm growing out to see what he looks like. Plus some money that I can spend on transforming the 20 gal into a nice blackwater biotype setup and but a few bn plecos, driftwood and tetras possibly
Old 06-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #8 
DaytonBetta

I'm glad to see your journal, I see you often on Matt's! I look forward to following your fish-keeping adventures!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #9 
Mahsfish

Thanks Dayton.

And also for you that don't know much about me. I've been keeping fish for around 10 years. Breed for around 5. I've kept many types of fish. II "specialize" in american cichlids and hybrid cichlids.

The fish I've kept includes zebra danios, goldfish, bn plecos, clown plecos, kribensis, jack dempseys, convicts, flowerhorns, blood parrots and king Kong parrots, apistogramma panduro and cacatuoides, peacocks cichlids, zebra cichlids, bettas, guppies, endlers and a couple more.

Also, for all of you non-cichlid keepers. Here's a picture of what a large pair (7 inch) of cichlids can do to your tank.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I was gonna post earlier... I've just been super busy.

Everything looks great. I would definitely take the leap and go planted- you'll love it. It's really just about balancing the system, low to medium light plus some easy plants (any of the floaters, hornwort, aponogetons, mosses, rotala, shinnersia, watersprite, wisteria... People will say java fern too but they've never worked for me) and a nice comprehensive liquid fert (I love seachem flourish) with sand or fine gravel substrate and it'll be great. Fish love it too.

I've actually been looking at those apistos, Spencer Jack is expecting them to arrive and the people on the local forum are putting together a group order. They'd be my first cichlids... To be honest I'm a little hesitant. I love how the females look though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote