Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Unhappy Disaster Monday

So I had my 2 favorite males in a divided 10 gallon. The divider is super sturdy, right? Well came home to find Cai on Tiberius's side, completely torn up. Half of his fins gone, patches of scales missing. I am completely distraught. Of course it's my 2 favorite boys and not one of the other 5 boys in the divided 20 L. Tiberius has a few fins missing but nothing a little TLC won't fix. Cai is now in a 5 gal barebottom tank. He is doing well, acting normal. He just looks so horrible it hurts to look at him. I'm so mad cause I feel like it's my fault, but he must have jumped, the divider was secure. Now I'm scared to have bettas in a divided tank anymore, which is just great for my 5 boys in a 20 L. I'm just not wanting anymore fish until I know I can keep them alone, it's just not worth it. Wow, I'm just so blown away since I haven't had a divider problem in so long. I'm just treating with Aquarium Salt and clean water for now. I think that is the best remedy. Plus a close family friend, and neighbor has had some law trouble we found out about today, and on a day we tried to celebrate my dad's birthday because he is out of town tomorrow. Ugh. Any suggestions for helping Cai get better is appreciated. Just had to get this off my chest.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #2 
CodeRed

I'd say just clean, regular water changes is the best.... I'm sorry this happened. Could you try lowering the water level to about 2-3 inches below the divider? I have mine that way and there's absolutely no way my fish could get over it, unless they suddenly became flying fish.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #3 
Laurenie

I'm so sorry about your horrible day. I had a similar problem with a 10g divided tank except it resulted in spawning so I am now trying to care for 1-week old fry (luckily there aren't many). The female apparently jumped over to the males side. I've now added jump barriers to the tops of all the dividers to prevent this from happening again.

As far as healing up your little guy, I would suggest lots of clean water, some aquarium salt and I have had great success using melafix in small doses. I had a guy that had quite a few scales ripped off, and fin and gill damage who I didn't think was gonna make it and I treated him with the salt and melafix and he is almost good as new. Best of luck!
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

It's interesting because 2 days before, I lowered it about 2 inches because I added Pothos to it, so the leaves could be out of the water... So I mean he'd had to have jumped high, but still I checked the divider and couldn't find where he got through. I just don't get it! Thanks though.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #5 
Laurenie

My girl betta actually did jump at least a couple of inches to get across the divider. It is most definitely possible.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #6 
CodeRed

tbh the only reason I feel safe is because I have a screen top on it, where usually the hood would go. If my males jumped over, it'd be horrible. 2 HMs with my rowdiest personalities... it'd be chaos Dx What tails are they?
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #7 
Adastra

My dividers go all the way to the top of the tank, and I use a glass top instead of the more domed plastic lids, so there is no way the fish can jump over unless the glass top is left open. I've only had one issue--I usually feed the female in the center first, but one day I decided to feed a male on the end first, and the female jumped over into his section. Since I was right there, it wasn't anything major. I just grabbed her with my hand and gently put her back in her section.

Perhaps a flat glass top will help prevent the jump? http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...81&pcatid=3781 it also lets more light in if you happen to grow live plants.

As far as healing goes--warm, clean water and high quality food is the best medicine. You might want to use a little methylene blue--it will discourage secondary infections without the consequences of melafix.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys. Cai is a VT who got super beat up, Tiberius is a CT who came away with only minimal damage to his tail. Guess he lives up to the Ct's being more aggressive. My dividers in the 20L definetly go up to the hood so should be fine. Ugh stressful, stressful. The only positive is I've been wanting to open up the 10 gallon. Haha Oh how often should I change his water in the 5 gallon? And should I add more Aqua Salt after all water changes? Thanks