Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #11 
Romad
TFK Moderator

The fasting for a few days is a good idea followed by the daphnia. Good luck and keep us posted.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

The lumps you are seeing are most likely the caudal peduncle

How long have you had him, sometimes this is due to a deformed swim bladder or it can be from constipation and the duct is plugged/infected or inflamed.

Holding the food for 3 days and then feeding him half his normal diet in two feeding every other day and adding Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days, keep the water temp in the 78F range and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid and I would also lower the water level by half to help him swim...this will rule out constipation and clogged/infected duct

I like to pre-mix my Epsom salt 1tsp/gal in a clean 1g jug (milk or OJ jug) to make water changes and correct dosage easier

Epsom salt can be found at most pharmacy Dept like Wal Mart, drug store..etc.....it is cheap and good for you too and flowering plants and shrubs...lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #13 
davyj0427

Thanks, I'll get some Epsom salt tomorrow. I have had him for about a month, I bought him at the local pet-co. He was fine for 3 weeks at least before this happened. So far he is still alive and still having trouble swimming he is going on day 2 of fasting and I am doing 100% water changes with treated water. Would aquarium salt and Epsom salt be similar or do you need the Epsom salt. I don't mind getting it but I already have aquarium salt on hand. Thanks again for all your feedback.
G
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Aquarium salt and Epsom salt are two different salts with two different effects-Epsom salt can help with edema/swelling and laxative effects, aquarium salt is great for injuries, wounds, external parasites-both can have an antibacterial/fungal effect, epsom salt is also plant safe when aquarium salt is not with some aquatic plants long term. I would not use either salt with salt intolerant fish-I have used both with salt intolerant fish for dip/bath without problems, but I would not recommend it. I also don't use either long term or over 10days except in some cases.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #15 
davyj0427

Hey all just an update. I am continuing he water changes w/ Epsom salt and I tried to feed daphnia today and he wasn't interested in eating it. He is laying there on the top of the water like he is dead but when I get near him he swims around. He also looks worse then he did I'll keep trying but I am not hopeful. Should I try giving him a pellet he hasn't eaten in 4 days or should I keep trying the daphnia.
G
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote