Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #1 
LisaMarie

Upgrading to a filtered tank?

Hi,

Im new here. I currently have 4 bettas, they are all in 6 litre heated tanks, i do regular water changes and they are all happy and healthy.

My question is- I am thinking of buying them new tanks, they are roughly the same size as what they are currently in but they have filters, is there anything i should know? Do i just set up the new tanks and add my fish?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #2 
sebamd

On tanks 2.5 gallon and smaller, it just give you a little wiggle room for forgetting to do a water change once in a while, 2.5G can be cycled, (it is hard as hell as it can loose the cycle easily) and then you just have to do partial changes whenever you usually did a full change.

Lets say you start a new tank. Normally for a 2.5G uncycled, you need to do a 50% change every other day and after 2 50% you do a full change instead. so is changing water every other day. In a cycled 2.5G you do 25% and 75% changes instead and you do one of each per week making sure you do not disturb the bacteria on the gravel or the filter. on the 75% change remember to rinse your filter on the water you took off to take away waste particles while letting the bacteria on it. ;)

Hope this is useful, and maybe some other more experienced keeper can give you a deeper insight.
sebamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #3 
Adastra

The most efficient way to deal with all of your fish would probably be to go with a divided tank. You can divide two ten gallons in half, or one ten gallon into 3 and then get one more small tank, for instance. Dividing a tank is easy, way cheaper than upgrading all your little tanks, and it will give you a more stable bacterial colony to work with once the tank is cycled.

I would do things a bit differently from sebamd, although his or her recommendation is definitely not bad since it basically just means more water changes. :) I would change an uncycled 2.5G 100% every 4 days, and a cycled one 50% once a week, gently rinsing the cartridge as needed rather than in any particular routine. You should use a test kit to determine whether your routine is working out for you, since the number of live plants, feeding, and other factors can play a significant role in how much ammonia/nitrate need to be removed.

You should definitely research the Nitrogen cycle and how to conduct a fishless cycle before you get your tanks. Doing a fishless cycle before you put your fish in will save you a lot of effort in exchange for just a bit of patience.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #4 
LisaMarie

Thank you for the replies I appreciate your advice. I would love a divided tank but unfortunately do not have the room.

I was wondering, if i do get the new tanks, does it matter that they are a hex shape? and that my bettas will have furthur to go to get air?
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #5 
Adastra

A divided tank would be a great way to consolidate space as well--especially if you don't have ample outlets in your room. My one 10G takes up less horizontal space than my two 3Gs next to each other--I think if you compared the collective space that your small tanks take up, the 10G would win out. Hex tanks aren't as good because when the tanks are small, less than five gallons, it reduces their swimming space a lot, so the fish get bored and neurotic after awhile.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 
Laurenie

I have my bettas in a divided tank and am in the process of dividing a 20 gallon right now. It definitely makes things much easier as far as maintenance goes and cycling the tank. Also, like Adastra said, thats ALOT of cords to be plugging in and I think they would actually take up more space.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote