Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #221 
Lion Mom

Since the suggested watts per gallon is 3 - 5, yes, the 25 watt heater will be fine in a 5 gal. Matter of fact, that is what I use in most of my 5 gal. tanks. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #222 
Ajones108

Thank you so much Lion Mom, it's relieving that I don't need to buy another!
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #223 
Lion Mom

You're welcome! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #224 
Cassandra90

I have a 7 gallon heated and filtered, I have my 2 year old Vt betta in it and I was wondering could I get a African Dwarf Frog and a snail to join him? Or if I rather get fish what type of smaller fish would be possible to put in there?
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #225 
usmcgarcia

i have a quick question haha, what is the best feeding times and amounts for a betta, and i got some brine shrimp for him to eat so around how much is good for him to eat?
usmcgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #226 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
I have a 7 gallon heated and filtered, I have my 2 year old Vt betta in it and I was wondering could I get a African Dwarf Frog and a snail to join him? Or if I rather get fish what type of smaller fish would be possible to put in there?
I wouldn't put any more fish in there. Some shrimp or a snail would be nice. Personally I don't like putting ADF with bettas because bettas have been known to seriously beat up on the little froggies and ADFs can't get away from a betta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgarcia View Post
i have a quick question haha, what is the best feeding times and amounts for a betta, and i got some brine shrimp for him to eat so around how much is good for him to eat?
That is really a matter of choice. I feed my fish once or twice a day depending on my schedule. If I feed twice I feed in the morning and evening.

Is the brine shrimp live, frozen, or freeze dried? Feed an amount that looks similar to the size of his eye (because that is how large his stomach is). Frozen and live foods you can usually feed a little more but not too much.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #227 
BlueHaven

Do bettas need (trying to decide on what to do with new aquarium i'm setting up!) to have plants to hide in if they have caves and other hiding places?
I'm asking this because I don't have a store near me that sells safe silk plants and i'm not going to take the chance of getting another plastic one.
I am planning to put a marimo moss ball in there so it has a sense of life to it.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #228 
Ajones108

They don't NEED plants really but I noticed my betta is SO much happier with plants. He's actually building a bubble nest under a couple leaves of my amazon sword that are sticking out of the water. :) These amazon swords seem to be VERY hardy, I have two of them in my tank each with 3 big leaves on it, and one of them is showing extreme growth (I added Aqueon aquarium plant food into the water). I'm very pleased and so is my fish.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #229 
BlueHaven

Cool, thank you! I'll get another plant then. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #230 
Sivan

What does it mean when a thin, clear, almost snot-like thread of slime begins to float off the betta's body? Fabio has been having many problems since I purchased him and now I see this clear stringy slime-like stuff coming off his scales and he has become much less active and just floats more often instead of swimming around the tank.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote