Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
brendaT

New Betta owner

Hi I have only had my Betta for a week now and he has settled in very well. I am new at keeping fish and have only just started up. My tank is a Aqua-cube 25 litres. I have also got 6 neons,4 endlers and 2 platies. Which Sam ( my Betta's name) has been getting on with very well. I had read so many things about not keeping a Betta in with other fish because he would eat them. But I saw Sam swimming around in a fish tank with other fish so decided to get him after all. He makes me laugh as he hides away when I am not in the room and when he sees me he comes out and almost shows off. Swimming up and down. He also loves to swim around the water pump and in the bubbles.
Is there any chance he may still go for my other fish.? They all seem to swim around him and he sometimes follows them.
brendaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #2 
dukie1346

How many gallons is it? 6.5g, right? I think that's what 25 liters is. Anyway this tank with all of your fish in it is overstocked, a lot in my opinion. It's a great sized tank for a Sam, and maybe something else, but not with all of those fish.

If you can, I suggest you get a 10g for your fish. And put your betta in the 25 liter tank by himself or with some other small compatible fish.

Sorry that's all I can say, but your tank now is overstocked and will need frequent water changes.

Oh, and is your tank cycled?
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #3 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie1346 View Post
How many gallons is it? 6.5g, right? I think that's what 25 liters is. Anyway this tank with all of your fish in it is overstocked, a lot in my opinion. It's a great sized tank for a Sam, and maybe something else, but not with all of those fish.

If you can, I suggest you get a 10g for your fish. And put your betta in the 25 liter tank by himself or with some other small compatible fish.

Sorry that's all I can say, but your tank now is overstocked and will need frequent water changes.

Oh, and is your tank cycled?
25 liters is around 3-5 Gallons.

Unsure exactly.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 
sebamd

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
25 liters is around 3-5 Gallons.

Unsure exactly.

1 Gal(US) = 3.78L therefore, 25L ~ 6.6 Gal(US)
1 Gal(UK) = 4.55L therefore, 25L ~ 5.48 Gal(UK)

Also your bioload is extremly high for the tank size, you got about ~17 inches of adult fish with will need 15 Gallons for it to be on the maximum Bioload.

Last edited by sebamd; 09-01-2010 at 07:07 PM.
sebamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #5 
brendaT

Unhappy

Oh dear I went by what I was told in the aquarium shop. Otherwise I wouldnt have got therm all. We have got a heater and filter in the tank.And we do change the water weekly. I dont know what to do now as I cannot get rid of any of them.? We test the water and adjust it when and if it is wrong. What more can we do to help them.?
brendaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #6 
UrsMyrick

Hi and welcome to the forum! I would really try and get another larger tank to house your other fish in. If you are unable to do that at this time (and in this economy) You will really need to watch your water parameters closely using a liquid test kit.
As far as cycling if you haven't already done that there is an article on here about it! It's very informative. I copied the fish in cycle out of this article. A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...0/#ixzz0yZuGQ9

The "Fish In" Cycle

This is the least-preferred method of cycling. Essentially, it involves using live fish as your ammonia source. The benefit to this method is that you get to stock the tank immediately, but the problems associated with this method far outweigh that single benefit. Fish recommended for the "fish-in" cycle are usually hardy species but aren't always fish that you want to keep in your tank on a long-term basis so you have to deal with the hassle of removing them once the cycle is complete. Second, water changes must be performed on a regular basis (sometimes daily or even more often) in order to keep ammonia and nitrite levels low so that the fish you're using to cycle don't die. Finally, and most importantly, cycling with fish can be stressful or even deadly to the fish you're using to cycle. Unfortunately, many new aquarists are unaware of the aquarium cycle or its importance and are thus essentially forced to do a "fish-in" cycle. When using this method, you should only choose hardy species (zebra danios are a popular choice) in small numbers. Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels daily, performing water changes with a good water conditioner that neutralizes ammonia and nitrite (Seachem's Prime is a good choice) whenever ammonia or nitrite levels exceed 0.5 ppm (0.25ppm is an even safer number). After a few days the ammonia should spike. As the Nitrosomonas bacteria increase in number the ammonia level will start to peter out, replaced by nitrite. The Nitrospira bacteria will then start to grow but since these reproduce more slowly than Nitrosomonas, the nitrite portion of the cycle can take a deal longer than the ammonia portion. Eventually both ammonia and nitrite will continually test at 0 ppm and you'll start seeing a reading for nitrate. At this point the cycle is complete. It's usually best to wait a bit just to make sure there aren't any straggling ammonia or nitrite spikes but after some time you can begin adding more fish to the tank, a few fish every week or two until the tank is stocked. The most important part of the "fish-in" cycle are the ammonia and nitrite tests and the water changes that are needed whenever these readings rear their ugly heads.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...#ixzz0yZw8qAFu

It also has an article on a planted tank (don't know what you have going on in your tank) but a planted tank will help eat up some of the ammonia/ammonium and nitrite. Plus it offers your fish hiding places within the tank.

Good luck with everything!
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #7 
UrsMyrick

There is a post on this forum labeled "Anyone use homes for their bettas other than premade tanks/aquariums" where one individual picked up a 2 1/2 gal jar from Walmart and added a small filter, gravel, plants, and a hiding place for their betta. Thought that would give you another option.
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote