Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #11 
jennandjuicetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyDahlia View Post
Is she underweight, or are there any other concerns that she's not getting enough to eat? Some dogs just don't need as much food as other. I would offer her food in her crate, leave her in there for 15 minutes, then let her out. Whatever she doesn't eat gets added to her next meal or tossed.
+1 If this were a puppy in my house, I would stop changing things. First I would get a good dry dog food. Blue buffalo and Taste of the Wild are two brands readily available, my dogs eat Great Life. I would put her serving in a bowl and give her 10-30 minutes to eat it 2-3 times a day. What she doesn't eat I would take uo ater that period. When she is hungry she will eat. In addition i would put her on a strict schedule and routine, try to get her as comfortable as possible to try and rule out stress/anxiety. If neither of these things work in a couple weeks then I would consult the vet again or get a second opinion. Where did you get her from?
jennandjuicetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #12 
Pogthefish

I didn't look on that list because I doubt my petco has any of those, but I did some research and decided to switch her to either eukanuba or blue buffalo, whichever she is more willing to eat.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #13 
jennandjuicetm

Theres also a probiotic called Fortiflora, it comes in powder form and has a strong beef odor that a lot of dogs and cats love. Its non script and is available online.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #14 
Pogthefish

She was on a schedule, I feed her at night when I get home from class, around 9. That way if she eats, I can take her out to poop before I go to bed. She's been eating alot better lately. I feel like making this post jynxed it, haha. I've even been able to get her to eat twice a day sometimes. I'll get her some eukanuba dry puppy food next time I go to Petco. My mom recommended the brand because it's the only one that doesn't give her dogs stomach problems.

I don't think she has a stress/anxiety problem because she seems relaxed and always has people or dogs to be around. She plays and cuddles with the two other dogs normally. What are the symptoms of anxiety besides nervousness/clingyness?

Also, her vet said she's in low low range, but normal weight. She said just try to get her away from the big dogs to eat and have food out as often as possible. I always leave a bowl of food and water out in my room, but the door is closed when I'm not in it. (the big dogs come in and empty out the trash/eat her food).

I got her from a breeder. My mom thinks it was a puppy mill, but I always thought those just let any dogs breed. The lady had cockapoos, bulldogs, and something else I forget, and she seemed to breed selectively. She had 2 litters when I went, and was happy to show me around. The only thing I thought was suspicious was she was holding the dog when I came, which my mom thinks is because she didn't want me to come in, but we saw the other litter and they looked fine. I got to play with them while my mom did paperwork. (she was a gift to me, so my mom paid). I think she was holding the puppy because she just had a bath. She mentioned she had been bathed and de-flead that day, so she probably didn't want her going back with the rest of the litter. I knew they were being kept in a horse stall, so they would get dirty pretty quick (sawdust and hay).

Oh, and when I refer to big dogs, we have 2 black lab/poodle mixes. The poodle really doesn't show, though. Everyone thinks they're labs. They play with her and they get along great. When I take her on weekend trips, they are excited to see each other, which hasn't been the case with some foster dogs we had. No cause of stress there.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Anyone who breeds cockapoos (or multiple breeds of dogs) is generally a pretty crummy breeder. They are either a puppy mill or BYB. There is no such breed as a cockapoo, it's a name purely used to market these sorts of crosses.

A poor temperament can be genetic, and a lot of puppy mill or BYB dogs can have temperament issues because the breeder generally doesn't care, or doesn't have the knowledge to understand why it is important.

Eukanuba is not really an excellent food. There are a lot better foods out there, particularly in the US. Here we don't even have half the choice in dog foods that you do.

I personally use and recommend Wellness Core as it is one of the best brands we can get here in Oz without switching to raw. Yes it is expensive, but you generally feed a lot less with premium foods because they aren't just going in one end and coming out the other.

Of one our German Shepherds gets 1 cup of Wellness Core a day with mince and that is more than enough to keep her weight at an acceptable level. I imagine a small dog would require even less, so a bag is going to last a long time.

Is she eating alongside the big dogs? I usually keep all our dogs separate as it is just a lot less stressful for them while they are eating.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #16 
CoyDahlia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
I got her from a breeder. My mom thinks it was a puppy mill, but I always thought those just let any dogs breed. The lady had cockapoos, bulldogs, and something else I forget, and she seemed to breed selectively.
puppy mills are places that pump out puppies with no regard for the health of the mother, only the profit they can get for the puppies. Generally, dogs are not kept in the best conditions, and they aren't careful to avoid potential health issues in a breed (like bulldogs are very prone to back issues).

Sounds like she was a backyard breeder, who was breeding selectively, and I'm sure cared about her animals, but wasn't showing them or trying to improve on the breed in some way.
CoyDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #17 
jennandjuicetm

Its possible to visit a puppy mill and not even know. Most times the dogs are kept far away from the house so no one knows about them. Either way, she's with you now and in good hands. :)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #18 
hrutan

Keep her environment calm and steady, and let her have a routine. Constantly switching brands and types can throw her off her food. As others have said, watch for people sneaking her table scraps!

If she is showing signs of frustration - like she wants to eat, but can't - you may wish to check the ingredients of what she's eating. Corn and grain allergies are very common, and if she knows the food will give her a bellyache, she won't eat it. Carefully try different types of food to find out if she's avoiding items with a specific ingredient in it. Dogs are perfectly capable of sniffing out a single ingredient, whether it's canned or kibble.

Also consider that some dogs have what one of my instructors called a "throwback" appetite - they'll go for a while without eating, and then glut themselves, which is a normal pattern for a hunting predator.

Above all, don't panic. If your vet says she's in low to normal weight range, she's not in danger. Keep an eye on her body shape - if her hips become prominent, if she has a distinct hourglass figure when viewed from above, or if you can see her ribs or spine (not the ripple of muscle over her ribs, but her RIBS) with the naked eye, you have a problem.

Otherwise, just remember - not all dogs need the same amount of food, even if they are the same size and breed. We humans consistently overfeed our four-legged pets, just like we often do with the fish!
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #19 
Pogthefish

I read the nutrition labels on eukanuba and it had good reviews online. It's within my price range, so I'll stick with that unless she has problems with it. Like I said, she's been eating better this summer. It probably has to do with my getting out of full-time school and being more consistent with her feeding time. Also she's getting more exercise now that I can give her long walks at the park, so that's probably helping her appetite, too. I think the frustration was that she knew I wanted her to eat, but she just wasn't hungry because her body wasn't prepared to eat. Yesterday, she ate all of her food except some crunchies left over from that morning, so I opened the door to the crate and she finished the crunchies before leaving. I think whatever I've done, it's worked.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #20 
hrutan

Yay!
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote