Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #11 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I'm still researching, even though I've been doin this off and on for two years. I read the same articles over and over and then search new ones. After awhile I learn what kind of sites to avoid, I stick to dedicated betta sites.
Me too!
when i found this site i was so excited because i finally found people like me, when your younger its so hard to find people your age that like what you like!!:P
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I didn't like the brine shrimp...too much hassel for me. Next time around I'm going to stick to micro, VE, and Walter and also try dried foods like First Bites and golden pearls/decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. I'm trying to get a culture of grindal worms going and will feed those starting at around 1 month old hopefully.

The worms and VE are really easy to culture and you don't have to worry about light and air pumps and mess.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #13 
MrVampire181

I like brine shrimp, it's a hassle to hatch though, which is why I have at least two hatcheries per spawn. I only feed my fry once a day with one full hatchery of shrimp per day, there's enough shrimp in the tank for them to eat all day long :)

I've never used cultures like that except one microworm culture. I dont remember why I let it die...
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I didn't like the brine shrimp...too much hassel for me. Next time around I'm going to stick to micro, VE, and Walter and also try dried foods like First Bites and golden pearls/decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. I'm trying to get a culture of grindal worms going and will feed those starting at around 1 month old hopefully.

The worms and VE are really easy to culture and you don't have to worry about light and air pumps and mess.
Well im willing to take the challenge with the brine shrimp so i gotta get some and then ill start my introduction of the pair!:)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
I like brine shrimp, it's a hassle to hatch though, which is why I have at least two hatcheries per spawn. I only feed my fry once a day with one full hatchery of shrimp per day, there's enough shrimp in the tank for them to eat all day long :)

I've never used cultures like that except one microworm culture. I dont remember why I let it die...
So how long ahead should you start hatching your BBS? like when the bettas are embracing, do you start or should you already have it ready or what?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
So how long ahead should you start hatching your BBS? like when the bettas are embracing, do you start or should you already have it ready or what?
As soon as the fry hatch I start my hatchery. Then I start the other hatchery 12 hours after the first one and then the first hatchery 12 hours after the 2nd one (after feeding) and so on. So this way I always have shrimp, plus I have an extra small hatchery (San Francisco Bay Shrimpery, its a small black box with a vial the shrimp swim into after they hatch) just incase.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
As soon as the fry hatch I start my hatchery. Then I start the other hatchery 12 hours after the first one and then the first hatchery 12 hours after the 2nd one (after feeding) and so on. So this way I always have shrimp, plus I have an extra small hatchery (San Francisco Bay Shrimpery, its a small black box with a vial the shrimp swim into after they hatch) just incase.
Well on you tube i was watching this video:
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ
and this is the shorter version of that link:
http://youtu.be/Y8sNx9zTOnQ

And well how many of those bottles do you need to cover a breeding, like to have a successful spawn? How long do you have to feed the fry the BBS?

Last edited by bettalover2033; 09-05-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: had to add the links!!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #18 
MrVampire181

I use 2-3. My fry are fed BBS from day one (free swimming) to week 8. Adding in Hikari First Bites (around 2 weeks of age) and then frozen bloodworms (around week 5) and then they're eating what the adults eat :)

But theres more to raising fry than just food, water is the most important. Well we'll get there when we get there.