Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #11 
Adastra

You can try giving the fish an epsom salt treatment. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, a gentle diuretic that should help decrease the bloating and get his digestive tract moving again.

In a separate container, prepare water of the same temperature, and mix in one tablespoon per five gallons of pre-dissolved Epsom salt. Acclimate the fish to the salted water for at least a half hour. Alternatively, if you used water from the betta’s tank, you can transfer the betta into the water directly and dissolve the salt in another container--slowly adding the dissolved salts to the water over the course of at least a half hour. The duration of this treatment is three to five days--during this time, do water changes as necessary, replacing the dissolved salts as necessary.

Hopefully this will inspire him to poop.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #12 
FuulieQ

Poor guy. :c He's all striped up.

A while ago, Freedy scared me by "breathing" hard for a while. I thought I'd help him out by turning the filter up a bit and taking off the cover to better oxygenate the water. It seemed to fix the problem after a few nights, and he hasn't done it since.

Of course, I also upgraded him to a five gallon (from a 3.5) after a while, and added some live plants. I'm not sure if our fishes had the same problem but if he's "panting" perhaps if you added an anubias nana just floating in his tank or some java moss, he wouldn't have to breathe as hard?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #13 
Staciekarp

Ladies and gents; we have a poop! His poop looks normal besides the colour of it which is a very light yellow. I'm going to be heading downtown in a bit to pick up the anti-parasitic tablets.

And sorry Adastra I missed your questions about his food from your previous post. I've been feeding him Nutrafin Max flakes and as to how much.. probably enough to full this "O". The first week and a bit I had him I was feeding him Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets but they would always made him bloat even if I'd only give him one.
Staciekarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #14 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciekarp View Post
Ladies and gents; we have a poop! His poop looks normal besides the colour of it which is a very light yellow. I'm going to be heading downtown in a bit to pick up the anti-parasitic tablets.

And sorry Adastra I missed your questions about his food from your previous post. I've been feeding him Nutrafin Max flakes and as to how much.. probably enough to full this "O". The first week and a bit I had him I was feeding him Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets but they would always made him bloat even if I'd only give him one.
Soak the pellets before feeding him, that way they wont swell up as much in his stomach, and wont bloat him
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote