Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 
nclnchls

Aquarium Salt Treatment?

Within the past few days, one of my younger bettas has managed to jump the divider not once, but twice! (I've got the water level lowered now to make sure that doesn't happen a third time). The first time, my red fish was the only one beat up; the second time, she jumped and got revenge on my other fish. Both of my bettas are now fairly beat up, with torn fins and missing scales, but otherwise are acting normally. The red one even has some regrowth.

I went out and bought some Stress Coat and some aquarium salt to treat their wounds, however I'm not sure how to treat with the AQ salt. I dipped the red one in a gallon with 1 tsp of AQ salt dissolved for 20 minutes, was this ok? Or should I be keeping them in an AQ salt bath for longer?

I've read on doing the AQ salt treatment for a few days, however I don't have a decent heater for my 1 gallon quarantine tanks, so I'm not sure if that would work. And I can't just dose in their divided tank, because I have live plants and shrimp. So should I be doing AQ salt dips? If so, how often, and for how long?

Thank you all!
nclnchls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #2 
William Zhong

no no, no chemicals please. two wrongs don't make a right, just change your water daily, until your fish looks normal. if they keep jump, i think they have some parasite, just put some salt, 1 gr salt per 100 gr water
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

A way to set up the quarantine tanks is to float them on the water in your main aquarium so they can still benefit from the heater, this may be an easier option if you choose it.

As to their salt baths, they are the most beneficial in the days after their fight because this is when their wounds are open and most susceptible, you really only need to continue until you see signs of the lesions healing over/no longer looking inflamed.

Either method will work in your situation and I am glad to see your babies all made it out in...well in mostly one piece!
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #4 
hubbley

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zhong View Post
no no, no chemicals please. two wrongs don't make a right, just change your water daily, until your fish looks normal. if they keep jump, i think they have some parasite, just put some salt, 1 gr salt per 100 gr water
Jumping doesn't mean parasites. In a divided tank there is a chance the bettas can see each other and one may jump to try and get to the other. Unfortunately they sometimes get what they want.
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote