Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #11 
JBlacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
Just make sure the heater will function in a low water level. I don't know what kind of heater you have, but mine has a minimum water level for the heater to work properly and safely.
I actually bought a new heater a few weeks ago. My old heater would not distribute even temperatures without the filter running, so when I got my new one I didn't want to risk testing it and upsetting my betta. So, I guess it is entirely possible that my previous statement, about it not heating consistently, is no longer applicable :)

This one is a Marina 50W, and it does have a minimum water level requirement. To accommodate the lower water level I put it on its side. . . now I am wondering if it is supposed to be kept upright for a reason? I will continue monitoring the tank
JBlacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #12 
hubbley

I think most heaters are able to be put on their side as long as it is labeled as fully submersible. Unless it says to keep it upright you should be fine. (:
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #13 
TheBlur

+ 1 for Hubbley's comments on heaters :)

He does look thin, but that can be fixed if his breathing issue is corrected. Starvation is the least of your problems.

You said he is rolling to his side? Does he have trouble staying upright?
Sounds like you're on the right track with the feedings, so keep trying! Remember to clean up anything he doesn't eat so it won't dirty the tank.

The filter goes off in medicated water so that it doesn't filter out the medicines. :)
TheBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #14 
JBlacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlur View Post
+ 1 for Hubbley's comments on heaters :)

He does look thin, but that can be fixed if his breathing issue is corrected. Starvation is the least of your problems.

You said he is rolling to his side? Does he have trouble staying upright?
Sounds like you're on the right track with the feedings, so keep trying! Remember to clean up anything he doesn't eat so it won't dirty the tank.

The filter goes off in medicated water so that it doesn't filter out the medicines. :)
I'm sorry let me try to be more clear: my filter only has a sponge inside, there is no carbon. The activated carbon, usually built into the filter cartridge, is what filters out the medication from treated tank water.

However, I just might have some good news! It doesn't look like he will be needing a second round of antibiotics! The treatment seems to finally be working and he is eating from the turkey baster :) Thanks for the tip on lowering the water level!

And thank you to everyone for your input, I will try to get some pictures of the elusive Toby to post. Keeping my fingers crossed!
JBlacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote