Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #1 
akendall234

James is very very sick please help!

Hi. I posted a thread last night, but nobody responded to it. I even posted this form after I posted the thread in case that was the reason. But I have yet to receive an answer to my questions, while others that have posted after me have like 44 replies to their threads. I really really need help! I'm not a fish expert. He looks healthy except for the disgusting growth on his side. Here is the form. I will post the picture again. Please help me!

Here is the form:
Housing
What size is your tank? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]1.5[/color]
What temperature is your tank? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]with water heater supposed to be about 80[/color]
Does your tank have a filter? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]yes[/color]
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]no[/color]
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]none[/color]

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]aqueon pellets[/color]
How often do you feed your betta fish? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]2 times a day[/color]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]2 times a week[/color]
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]100%[/color]
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]water purifier[/color]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

No, don't have water testing kit

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? weird growth showed up friday night
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]none at all[/color]
When did you start noticing the symptoms? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]friday night[/color]
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]i thought he was bloated, stopped feeding for 2 days[/color]
Does your fish have any history of being ill? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]nope[/color]
How old is your fish (approximately)? [COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]1 year ago from pet store adopted[/color]
akendall234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #2 
akendall234

On this thread: Help Diagnose Betta Fish James I posted the picture

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=415850
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Now that is an odd growth indeed...it appears to be growing from the skin and out which points to a few different conditions, hinging on the origins and makeup of the lump.

Can you shine a light in on and behind your boy to see what the lump looks like from within? Does it appear to be filled with something/squishy or is it more like a lump of extra fish?
Have you spied your boy rubbing his side on anything or trying to ram into things?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #4 
akendall234

I will try shining a light on later. To me the thing doesn't look like fluid. It basically has the same color as him, except for being light pink where the scales are maybe stretched? or fell off...

He also has not rubbed against anything. There's nothing to rub against in his tank. It's all smooth walls, a decoration at the bottom, and a plant in the corner.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #5 
FishieLover12

it kinda looks like a tumor to me, but I would research more before being sure of that. hope he gets better!!!!!!!!

also, is he swimming any differently?
FishieLover12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #6 
akendall234

I thought it kind of looked like a tumor as well. With those do you basically do nothing and then he eventually dies? I know he will die someday, but I was hoping he would be around in my life until i graduated from college....

He swims as happily as usual.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I was leading up to lyphocytosis, ah well we can hope can we not?

Lympho is a tumorous growth that will grow independantly of the rest of your fish, for the most part the growth is ignored by the fish and appears to be painless. Really there are no clear ways to treat these masses and the treating plan is really just one as adjusting as the mass grows to make the fish more comfortable. In some cases the mass can become large enough or grows in an odd enough place that the fish's body becomes hard to steer and in circumstances like that it is recommended to make their tank as disabled friendly as possible.
If the lump grows slowly or stops altogether then there is really nothing to worry about for some time, the fish will adjust to the extra weight and the lump wont be taking much valuable nutrients.
Bottom line is that there is not really much we can do, but that this is not an immediate death sentence since as long as the fish has no difficulties and the lump doesnt grow out of control then he is still capable of living a long healthy life.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #8 
akendall234

Hi, thank you so much for your diagnoses. I agree that this looks like lympho. I have done more research and I found another thread where someone treated the symptoms with beta glucan. I am picking up a bottle and will sprinkle in some with his food everyday from now on. Hopefully it works as well as it did for the other person.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Keep us posted on how he goes, fingers crossed it works.