Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #1 
BettaMom6720

How do I treat whatever this is?

My Bettas has had a tiny little white spot on his fin for a few months, then he got another on his scales, now it seems to be getting worse. Right now he is in a 1 gallon bowl with 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt, .5ml of stress coat & stress zyme and korbons rid ich plus. Am I treating him properly? I also am doing 100% water changes daily. Please help my baby Blue!
Attached Images

BettaMom6720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #2 
myprince

Ich - This can be identified as small white bumps on the body of the fish. It can easily be treated by commercially available treatment. But make sure that you change the water first for best results. For more in-depth information on treating ich, see Treat a Fish with Ich. Your fish might also be scratching itself with the rocks or plants with this condition. You can also treat it with a little salt but only after more research because too much can be fatal to your fish.
myprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #3 
myprince

Once you see the white spots on the body of your fish, take action quickly, Ich will quickly multiply spreading to other fish in the tank. Using ich medications will stop this from happening for the most part.
Treating the entire tank is necessary even if only one fish is affected. It may be wise to set up a separate quarantine tank if only one fish has it, but treat both tanks. You may ask why but if you change the water daily in the second aquarium you can help to stop the ich from being as bad. This may also be achieved by doing daily water changes in the main aquarium but this is stressful on fish without ich, so isolate the fish that has it.
The water temperature of a tropical fish tank normally should be kept at between 68 and 78 degrees. 26 degrees celsius. SLOWLY increase the temperature of the tank to a maximum of 86 degrees. Increase by a degree every few hours until you reach the desired temperature. This depends on the type of fish because some fish can handle higher temperatures than others.
Vacuum the gravel daily if possible and replace with fresh water. Do this every day until your fish are no longer showing signs of the parasite. Be sure you treat the water for chlorine BEFORE putting it in your tank
Add aquarium salt to the tank. While this doesn't have any direct effect on the parasite, it does aid in gill function, but it is a specific dosage as specified on the box. This can be beneficial with species with high oxygen requirements and aid the fishes osmotic function to replace electrolytes lost during stress. Do not use where scaleless species (eels, loaches, catfish) are present. One dose per entire tank is all you will need until you change the entire tank's water.
Remove any charcoal filters being used in the tank. You will replace with new ones after treating your tank. It is a good idea to sterilize all things that came in contact with tank during treatments. Such things as nets, filters, and artificial plants should be run through boiling water.
Add the measured dose of a recommended brand of commercial white spot /ICH treatment. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle carefully making sure not to overdose or miss any part of the course. Because most tanks are not always filled to the brim, take off a drop the recommended dose. Repeat the course if the spots are still visible 4 days after the last dose. Most treatments require you to do daily medications, this is Exactly what you should do to help your fish.
Continue the treatment every day until six days after the spots have disappeared and the fish are acting normally. The ich parasite goes through a life cycle and another outbreak can occur within a few days if the parasite infestation isnít completely eradicated. After an outbreak be scrupulous in checking the fish daily for those dreaded white spots. It is very common for the ich to make a comeback.
The best way is to feed the fish a vitamin enriched diet- i.e. soak food in selcon or similar. This special diet will boost the fishes immune system and help them fight the disease off. None of the brand name medications will be effective. Don't move the infected fish, the excess stress can kill them. If you need to isolate the fish, move all the other tank inhabitants.

Per WIKI HOW WEBSITE..

HOWEVER!!!
When I had ich, I went to my local pet store, possibly even walmart. And bought the medicine. I added half the amount of the dose, because my betta was already in bad condition. I then cleaned the bowl out every few days and kept readding half the dose. It did not go away as quick as it probably should have per I did not follow the instructions. But I did not follow the instructions because my betta was already in a lot of shock when I first got him, so i worked my way up to removing the ich, he also had fin rot as well and was not very colorful. I hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #4 
KFoster

I don't think this is ich... Ich usually looks like your fish has been sprinkled with salt.

This is only in one area, correct? <edit> Sorry I see you said there is another spot on his scales. I still don't think ich, though.<edit>

It looks too big to be ich.
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #5 
myprince

The reason I feel it is ich is because I don't think it would be a parasite. But maybe it is. It doesn't look like anything funi related. Is your betta scratching up against anything? Is he eating?

Fungi, would be more white cottony patches, and that doesn't look like a patch. Looks more like a dot.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #6 
VivianKJean

I'm going to agree with KFoster. I do not think it's ick unless he has developed more white spots.

Just looking at the photos - it could be fungal infection but I am not 100% (I'm more about 50% sure).

BettaMom6720 Please answer these questions (all of these questions)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
What BRAND of food do you feed your betta?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

If you could - please post updated photos. Since these photos are from a month ago.

Please post photos that look at the fish from the side (both sides of the fish). Also please take a few looking down at the fish (birds eye view).

If you could answer these quickly then I can be of some help
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

looks like a slowly progressing columnaris. This is a gram negative bacterial infection caused by poor water quality and/or stress. A good treatment would be a combination of maracyn and maracyn 2 or just maracyn 2.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

A month is a long time to have a mark. Is is a fluffy one or does it appear to be a lump of fish flesh? Does he attempt to scratch at it or does he largely ignore it?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote