Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #1 
xswornxoffxjello

Question Filter Baffle Q

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me a good way to baffle a filter. I read the sticky describing how to use a water bottle, but does the glue will hurt fish? I can't seem to get it to come off.

I've tried using a new sponge before, but it just seemed to cloud up the water.

Is there a better way?
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #2 
Jayy

I didn't see glue anywhere. I read that she used tape and curved it to keep the bottle still. It seems easy to do. What don't you understand about it??

Last edited by Jayy; 09-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #3 
xswornxoffxjello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
I didn't see glue anywhere. I read that she used tape and curved it to keep the bottle still. It seems easy to do. What don't you understand about it??
I get how it's done, but you know the plastic wrap they glue on the bottle? I can't get the glue off. I don't want to try if that will be a problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #4 
Jayy

What glue are you talking about? She cut the bottle so that it fits right under the outtake waterfall and taped it to stay. One side is taped so the water goes in one direction. Are you talking about the glue on the bottle??? If so just the bottle really well in hot water.

Last edited by Jayy; 09-06-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #5 
xswornxoffxjello

All right, thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #6 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
What glue are you talking about? She cut the bottle so that it fits right under the outtake waterfall and taped it to stay. One side is taped so the water goes in one direction. Are you talking about the glue on the bottle??? If so just the bottle really well in hot water.
Some Bottles come with a label.

THIS LABEL is glued onto the bottle using a strong glue.

Sometimes you cannot get the entire glue of the bottle

What the guys asking is if this glue is poisonous to his fish.

It's really not that hard to work out when and if you take the time to think about it.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #7 
rejohnson53

Try rubbing the glue off with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. I've heard this works, though I've never tried it myself. The oil will come off after repeated rinses in warm-hot water.

I would not recommend using a chemical glue remover like Glu-Gone since there's no telling whether those might be harmful to fish.

Even if the glue turns out to be nontoxic, you should probably remove it anyway. I've seen bettas get their fins stuck in just about everything, and finding one of them had rubbed up against a sticky baffle and gotten a fin stuck would not surprise me. Stranger things have happened.
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

OR you could just forget the whole plastic bottle baffle thing altogether and just get an AquaClear (or other aquarium brand) sponge/foam and rubber band it to the outflow of your filter.

I know you said you tried a sponge before & it made your water cloudy, but I can't imagine a piece of aquarium foam doing that.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #9 
Cutar

Or you do it my way :D Get a thick sock and put it on the front of the filter. Easy peasy and its free!
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #10 
rejohnson53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutar View Post
Or you do it my way :D Get a thick sock and put it on the front of the filter. Easy peasy and its free!
What a fantastic idea! I'd have never thought of that. I just hope it was a clean sock...
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote