Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #11 
Phoxly

There's nothing wrong with keeping a betta in a 2-3 cup plastic cup for a few weeks til they are adopted. Look at dogs at the pound, they are kept in cages til they can be put in a real home. Fish don't know any more than the tiny cup, they've never been in a larger cup so it doesn't bother them as much considering they are bred, raised, fed, shipped, and sold in small containers. It is not animal cruelty .____. so tired of the witch hunts who are out there trying to take down petco and petsmart. All that matters with these containers is if they are changed 2 times weekly, and fed atleast 3 times a week too.

So fed up with the anti tiny cup rebellion, it has been the same for hundreds of years of raising bettas, it is apart of the hobby. You should see the tiny bags they are shipped in...

/rant
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #12 
Capricorn

No, no, I understand the cup thing; it's not efficient for a store to keep many tanks with one betta in each if they can survive in the cup, it's the fact that (in my area at least) the fish are not kept as they should be and are still viewed as a throw-away pet. There are fish that I saw this past Monday that, on Friday, were either dead or dying and at least appeared to be in the same dirty water they had been earlier that week. I realize that it's not something that happens in every single pet store, but it's sad that a business like petco which prides itself on being "where the pets go" or whatever allows their branches to take such atrocious care of their fish for the sake of making money.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #13 
Phoxly

I saw 3 dead bettas at my petco, asked to speak to a manager, and told him I wouldn't be coming back til the fish were kept in better condition, and I wasn't going to buy from a rack that had dead bettas and dirty water.

This is usually a lazy employee, and it was taken care of quickly.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #14 
Cutar

I went to petco today and picked up a new betta :D But when I was there, I saw 3 dead bettas. It really pisses me off. I got a guy to come over and I was like, "you do realize that you have several dead fish right?" AND i feel very proud because a lady was asking a petco worker about what tank to get a betta fish and they reccomended a 1 gallon tank! I pulled the lady aside and said 2 or higher is really the way to go and started talking to her and she was very thankful.
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #15 
MrVampire181

I always stay in the fish section of Walmart and if someone gets a fish I educate them on the proper care...it's the best you can do without buying them all.

I wish stores would just go for a large betta drip system with medicated water to avoid disease. Especially these chain stores, THEY CAN AFFORD IT!!!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #16 
firefly0101

My Wal-Mart doesn't stock fish - there's some sort of city/ provincial law that says that they can't.

I don't know about the large pet stores, but if we get our puppies from local breeders, and if they don't sell, then we return them to the breeder (it's usually within a couple months). We get our kittens from B.A.R.S. (the Barhead Animal Rescue Society) and we've given 6 of 7 new homes. We still have Tar, but nobody wants black cats! >:(
But ask the pet stores about where they get their dogs, cats, lizards and fish. If they're from in town, then they'll be less likely to get stressed during transit.
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #17 
purplemuffin

I agree on the small container thing really--makes transporting them home easier, and really it makes sense in short term--they hope to SELL the fish, not keep them. They are set up to sell, if people bought the fish when they are first brought to the store, it's all great. It's just the lack of care that gets me, some stores do GREAT, others don't. Fish is one of the few things that petco/mart do not have on their 'do it this way' rules... I won't let up that they treat reptiles wrong though! A small container is one thing, but some of the situations they put the reptiles in set them up to die later, even if they are kept in great new homes by people who purchase them! An employee at a petsmart told me that we would be 'lucky' if our baby leopard gecko lived, and that about 60 percent of (this store's specifically) customers report their new reptiles died within the 2 week warranty, and they have a bunch of complaints by people who have animals that die the next few days after that!

I'm all for good stores and great employees, it's the bad ones I say 'boo!' to!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #18 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawriie View Post
Muffin-Chan, you saved a Snakey? How is she doing? Why do they become sick with so many health problems in pet stores? Can`t they treat them too? ...It`s hard to believe that some people let this go when so many other living beings are agonizing...
Maru is doing WONDERFULLY! She has filled out, gained weight, and grown an entire foot since our purchase! She has the best personality we could ask for, she is curious, spunky, but gentle and trusting. We have had to handle her directly on the head because of the ticks...and if you know snakes, you know they do not like being touched on the head and that can make them very nervous(which means they might give a defensive 'hey! Go away!' bite) but..No bites, she was relaxed, still tongue flicking but sat still until the tick was gone. Then she just crawled up and into my hoodie, and looked up over my shoulder at me!

The biggest reason animals suffer so much is--and I'll say it again and again--education and the lack of it! We know what a healthy puppy looks like, we know what a healthy kitten looks like. But how do you know if a tortoise has a cold? It's hard to tell the difference between a unique face shape of a chinese water dragon and the early stages of Metabolic Bone Disease. People don't know what the animals need in life, and they aren't taught how...UVB lights are important, or that their lungs can get hurt by too much/too little humidity. We know not to give chocolate to dogs, but not many people know not to give citrus fruits to birds, or that giving iceberg lettuce to any herbivore is really practically starving it nutrition wise(Nothing but water!)

So, like a lot of people here have said, if you see someone wanting a betta, or any animal, just make sure they are informed on the cost of caring for it properly, and WHY those things are important and can't be left out!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruelty, pet store