Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #1 
sdg30064

Smile Accidental Breading

We had a female and a male in a 10 gal tank with a screen divider in the center, we checked on them early today to find that the female had found her way into the males side. We moved her back a time or two and she kept jumping over. We decided to see if they would get along, and next thing we know they are mating...And to believe we have only had these two for 3 or 4 days!

Now the female is in a small tank to rest, and the male keeps movin his eggs around......my wife keeps asking me if hes eating them...lol
sdg30064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Ok here's what you gotta do, in a day the eggs should hatch you need to start a brine shrimp hatchery, then the next day they should be swimming, that's when you take the male out and you need to feed them. They NEED live food. I understand it was accidental but you mgiht want to get stuff you need to raise them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Accidental "breading".. are we talking fish sticks? LOL

Ok.. now serious time.

Do you have any idea the time and money it takes to raise a spawn? Are you prepared for the daily water changes and large numbers of jars that must be cleaned daily? Do you know where your fry will go when they are old enough?

Unlike some people I consider breeding ANY animal to be a serious undertaking. There are already hundreds of bettas rotting in cups all over the world.. unless you are breeding for the betterment of the fish I suggest destroying the spawn.

Most people don't understand exactly how much work it takes to raise spawns. Not to mention finding homes for all the fish... homes where the fish will be taken care of properly and not left to swim in its own filth.

Also you may want to reconsider keeping a male and female in the same tank. Fish release pheromones as way to get the attention of mates. Being in constant contact with these pheromones will cause the female to constantly egg up and this can lead to a shortened life span as it is a very stressful situation.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #4 
Capricorn

Considering you let the female stay in the male's tank to see if they "got along" you should probably save yourself the trouble and destroy the spawn. I don't mean to be rude, and I apologize if I come across as such, but if you had a female cat in heat would you let it near an un-neutered male to see if they "got along"? The same should go for any animal.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #5 
Alex09

I also advise you to destroy the spawn. Maybe you can wait till they hatch keep 5-10 and see if you can raise them... But you definitely dont want tons of bettas if you dont even know what to do with them.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD MALE BETTAS AND FEMALE BETTAS BE HOUSED TOGETHER! THEY MAY GET ALONG FOR A TIME BUT SOONER OR LATER THERE WILL BE A MASSACRE!

I really am tired of people who think they have miracle bettas that defy the rules of nature...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Wow Man!!! im so frustrated !!!!

Its crazy how When first time breeders try to breed and they do every thing correct and the pair dont even embrace. But when a person just decides to put some fish together, they spawn and embrace!

And they dont even try to do that!!

Well im just saying that as an example!!

But are you really suggesting that 1F2F? trash the fry:(

Thats terrible!!
i wouldnt have the guts to do such a thing!!

If i were you sdg30064 i would Research soooo hard and fast!!

Also the fry would not need to be fed, UNLESS they dont have live plants!!

Also if i were you i would go to the store Right tomorrow and buy some brine shrimp eggs and go on you tube and type in hatching brine shrimp!!

He will show you everything and you could possibly save the poor little accidental fry:/

Also i agree with Mr Vamp They NEED live food!!! so get the things needed to take care of the fry
You will need a corner filter, set on low until the fry become free swimming. you will need a heater set at about 78* to 80*F.!! and fast!! if you want to keep the babies!

Can you take pictures of the bubblenest and fry and take pictures of the parent?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Yes I'm saying trash the fry. The OP doesn't know one thing about breeding or raising fry. These fish are going to need tanks, water changes, food, and heat. These fish will also need to find homes which is going to be next to impossible seeing as they are probably pet store VT. Would you rather they end up at a pet store? I wouldn't. That may sound harsh but like I said in my first post I regard breeding as something that should be done responsibly. This world is already over run with unwanted pets and if your going to bring more into the world it should be for a VERY good reason... not a selfish one but for a goal that would lead to the betterment of that pet.

If you can't deal with culling then your not ready to breed.

This thread was posted over 24 hours ago. The fry are probably hatched or about to hatch. That means the OP has about 1-2 days to get fry foods cultured and ready to feed. You don't just go to a store and buy fry food.. most pet stores do not carry BBS or any other fry foods. They must be ordered off the net and then shipped. Most of the fry would be dead by then anyways.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Yes I'm saying trash the fry. The OP doesn't know one thing about breeding or raising fry. These fish are going to need tanks, water changes, food, and heat. These fish will also need to find homes which is going to be next to impossible seeing as they are probably pet store VT. Would you rather they end up at a pet store? I wouldn't. That may sound harsh but like I said in my first post I regard breeding as something that should be done responsibly. This world is already over run with unwanted pets and if your going to bring more into the world it should be for a VERY good reason... not a selfish one but for a goal that would lead to the betterment of that pet.

If you can't deal with culling then your not ready to breed.

This thread was posted over 24 hours ago. The fry are probably hatched or about to hatch. That means the OP has about 1-2 days to get fry foods cultured and ready to feed. You don't just go to a store and buy fry food.. most pet stores do not carry BBS or any other fry foods. They must be ordered off the net and then shipped. Most of the fry would be dead by then anyways.

Well i agree with 1F2F!! Trash the fry!!

Sorry it sounds really harsh but 1F2F is right!! you will need to do it responsively!!

Also, if its too hard and YOU yourself cant do it then tell your wife to do it!!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #9 
metalbetta

Just gonna throw this out there in the wind...

Everything happens for a reason. ;)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #10 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
Just gonna throw this out there in the wind...

Everything happens for a reason. ;)
Yes well once she/he throws the fry out that would have happened for a reason too, also this person knows nothing about breeding and raising fry and has no materials for the fry like food heat clean water or even the knowledge of raising!!

This is very irresponsible if this person keeps th fry!