Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #1 
Capricorn

New betta/new to bettas!

Hello!

So I'm new to this forum, I just found it today and I'm so thankful that I did. I've kept a betta in the past (looking back I realize it was textbook, commercialized betta keeping. tiny tank, etcetc.).. this was a couple years back. I recently acquired a 5gal tank of my own and had planned on goldfish until I realized how much space they really needed.

The next option?

In my goldfish-spying adventures at the nearest petco I spotted a beautiful, opaque halfmoon male on Monday. The moment I realized I didn't have the room for goldfish, my mind jumped right back to him. My tank was already set up and running, and I knew I wanted a fish.. so tonight I went down to that petco and took home that little betta. Before I left I popped in here looking for tank mates.. I brought along a few ghost shrimp to go with him.

The good news is everything made it home! I'm so glad I found this site and I wanted to thank whoever put all the stickys together in easy to understand ways. My tank is at the right temperature and even though it's only been a couple hours, the betta is already moving around much more then I had thought he would.. I'm hoping he'll make it through whatever stress he has and get healthy!

A couple newbie questions...

Right now this male is missing a bit of his fins. I don't have a camera on hand right now to take a photograph, but with time should he grow these back?

Also, does anyone have tips for taking photos? I've tried photographing my hermit crabs in the past and it's always blurry.. any help would be appreciated.

This 5gal has a built in filter, and I need to slow down the flow.. I saw the post of filter baffling but I'm not sure if I can do it the way that mine is built. Any tips?

Well, sort of a long intro post... anyways, I'm so glad to have found all of this information here.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 
Alex09

1. torn fins usually get healed so long as the water is clean
2. Turn on the "macro" setting on your camera if it has one
3. Post a pic of your filter (with and without the hood) so we can see how it can be baffled
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Thanks Alex.. the lighting in my room isn't fantastic so I'll grab pictures of the filter in the morning.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #4 
betta fish crazy

Congrats on your new fish! If you get pictures please post them!
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 
Capricorn

pictures are up!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=50913
Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #6 
JKfish

How strong is that current in the tank? If it's too strong and you see him struggling, turn it off until you can create a decent baffle.

I hate those ugly bottle baffles and pantyhose, so I buy the silk ivy plants with flexible stem things, and I make a loop around the intake and then wrapped sort of around the heater on the other side of the filter so the leaves make a sort of baffle. It is sort of hard to explain, so if you want, I could post a picture showing what it looks like. I also use a good bit of live plants by the filter to slow down the current :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #7 
Capricorn

Well he can swim upwards through the current with seemingly not much difficulty.. he seems to like swimming up through it, but it probably could be a little gentler.

I'd love to see it! I've read a couple posts where people have put a small piece of aquarium sponge in the intake, I was thinking of trying that as well.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #9 
UrsMyrick

Hello and welcome! He is a very pretty fish, can't wait to see picks of him all healed up! I really like your tank set up as well!
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #10 
Capricorn

Thank you!