Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

In heavy planted tanks the active plant growth will use the ammonia and the nitrate for food and energy. It is reported but still under debate that plants can also use the DOC's, they never leave the tank per se- but are used and converted so that they are not problematic to the livestock
Even in heavy planted tanks with low bioloads- a water change can add nutrients for the plants.
As the hobbyist-we watch and understand the behaviors of the fish and how water quality can affect them..same with live plants, when we observe them and we see that the plants are struggling-often a water change can be the easy fix.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #12 
Phoxly

That makes sense OFL, after I added my CO2 system a week ago, this past water change has helped them so much, they are super green and the algae is going away.

If I was doing 50% changes and monitoring the 2.5 gallon I'm sure I could cycle it by keeping the ammonia in check til nitrites build up and nitrates build up, but I'm not a live cycle fan :(
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Phoxly-Make sure you research the affect of low pH and CO2 use and how it affect the nitrogen cycle.....I want to say that low pH- the nitrifying bacteria have trouble colonizing but I don't recall at what level...I want to say 6 but I am not 100% sure...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #14 
Phoxly

Not to sway off the subject of the 2.5 gallon, but do you think low PH and my new Co2 system will effect my nitrogen cycle? I noticed my nitrates were a shade higher (still safe) than they usually are every week.

Also I do about 30% weekly. I only test for Nitrates and Ammonia though...
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #15 
zelilaa

woah are you kidding me?!? 50% changes twice a week? de freak?! Mine is filtered, but it didn't use to be. Then, I did 25% changes twice a week. Now, I do them once a week. I have a male betta in a 2.5 gall.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #16 
StacyK

I have 2, 3 gal tanks, that holds about 2.7 gal with an undergravel air filter (one at work and one at home). I also have one live Anubias plant tied to a rock in one of them (work) and 2 in the other (home), among all the other plant decoration in the tank and a small carbon filter sitting in the gravel (the ones that look like treasure chests). Is it really necessary to do a 50% water change twice a week?

The tank I have at home I do water changes every couple of days to remove the tannins that are leaching out of the drift wood.

I had a betta tank years ago, 2 gal I think and I did water changes once a week and didn't have any live plants, and Mr. Fishy lived for a number of years.
StacyK is offline   Reply With Quote