Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #1 
Arowan

Betta is Cave Obsessed?

I recently put a new cave in my betta's tank (One of those tiki-tower things from PetSmart) and my betta like... lives in it constantly xD I hardly ever see him leave it anymore, I rather miss seeing him swimming around... Initially, the cave had some sharp edges that I missed, and tore his fins--I sanded everything down thoroughly, and am dosing him for minor fin rot, but since he rarely swims out of the cave--even for food time--it's hard to tell how his fins are doing. Is this behavior abnormal? Or is he just cave happy? (I've had other caves, before, but he never seemed as crazy for them as he is with this one... it's almost cute how much he likes it!)
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #2 
Cutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowan View Post
I recently put a new cave in my betta's tank (One of those tiki-tower things from PetSmart) and my betta like... lives in it constantly xD I hardly ever see him leave it anymore, I rather miss seeing him swimming around... Initially, the cave had some sharp edges that I missed, and tore his fins--I sanded everything down thoroughly, and am dosing him for minor fin rot, but since he rarely swims out of the cave--even for food time--it's hard to tell how his fins are doing. Is this behavior abnormal? Or is he just cave happy? (I've had other caves, before, but he never seemed as crazy for them as he is with this one... it's almost cute how much he likes it!)

Lol he is prob just cave happy my fish is too
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #3 
karlhague

Hiding places make betta's feel Secure.

The more secure they feel in a place, the more they stay there.

is he a new betta? if so he might be just adjusting to the tank
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

Well that is pretty normal behavior! He just loves you for the cave but he cant get out of it long enough to tell you lol!

When did you get him is he a new betta added to your collection?

Also, he might like it because he is claiming his territory and searching it.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #5 
Sivan

Haha. It sounds like he really approves of his new interior decorating. Perhaps he is a fish with a sense of style. How cute!
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 
XSprinkleFaceX

Lol my betta is plant happy...he'll go into the deepest depths of his plants to the point where i don't even know where he is anymore lol. He only comes out for food and air. lol So i assume your betta is acting pretty normally IMO/E.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #7 
Arowan

I've had him for about 2 and a half months now :) Pretty red-blue-green delta-tail (advertised as a half moon at the pet store, but his tail doesn't open that wide!) Good to know he's happy ;) I've had him in this tank for about a month, a 2.5gal Critter Carrier. Currently saving up money and researching a good 3-gal tank for him to be in.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #8 
ReyesBetta

Walmart has a nice tank kit (Tetra or the Hawkeye) which are both 5g and under $50.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #9 
Arowan

5-gal is a little big for my room, though I'm still considering it... Right now, I'm looking at this 3-gal: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&ab=hp_lv_fish He's fine in his current tank, for now :) Just want to upgrade to a bigger, filtered tank at some point...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #10 
shell85

lucky. i wish my betta used his castle more i've only seen him in it twice since i had it. He'd rather rest behind it than in it.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote