Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #1 
LoveSGSE

Need quick replies!!

Is dropsy contagious? My previous Betta died of dropsy in that tank. I placed my new fish in that tank, which now he has clamped fins(probably still settling in) just to make sure... I did soak the tank in hot water with sea salt the whole day yesterday... Is it all right?
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #2 
LoveSGSE

Help? Anyone?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #3 
LoveSGSE

I was curious, can dropsy be spreaded to humans by touching it?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #4 
BettaGirl290

i dont know, maybe try to research on the drospy, and i don't think that it can be spread to humans, just make sure ya' wash your hands after putting in decor', washing there tanks and taking them out.

Happy Betta Fishies!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Dropsy is a symptom-not a disease itself and it is not contagious per se, however, what ever caused the symptom can be. The most common reason for dropsy is bacterial usually from poor water quality, stress and all the thing that go with stress like-overcrowding, poor water quality, over feeding...etc......

It is always a good idea to wash your hand before and after working with your fish and to clean everything well that came in contact with a sick fish...it is better safe than sorry......

Also note-that often fish that have been in the temporary cups long term can have bacterial infection from poor water conditions and often will get sick up to a week later of proper care....so you can't always blame yourself.........

Also, long term aquarium salt use can cause bloat/dropsy symptoms due to kidney failure

There are a few things that can be passed to humans from tropical fish-but it is rare....good hand washing practice is the number one defense......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote