Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #1 
ParadigmPenguin

First Fish Sickness

Hey guys. I bought a beautiful betta fish from a pet store a week ago. To give you a quick background... I moved him from the .5 gallon bowl he came in to a 1.5 gallon tetra tank. Just yesterday I moved him into his final home, a 4 gallon Biorb.

I've just noticed what seems to be "spots". They're not EXACTLY white. It looks to me more like discoloration. Some are larger and some are smaller. They're light/cream colored (he's blue/red). From what I can see they are only on his head/body, not fins.

He's eating and appears very active.

I'll try and get a photo up later, if I can. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
ParadigmPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #2 
sebamd

Could be a couple of diseases, I guess could be any of these two... hope its not.

DISEASE: ICK

GENERAL INFO:
Ick is a pesky little parasite. If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will never get ick. It is very contagious, but bettas will fully recover if treated promptly. Frozen live food may carry ich.
SYMPTOMS: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. He may be less active, may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped. he may also be darting and scratching against rocks, plants and whatever else he can find.
TREATMENT: Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F and add one drop of Aquarisol per gal every day until cured. It will only take a few days to get rid of the pesky little parasites. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then you cannot raise the temperature. Do not attempt to put a heater in a tank smaller than 5 gal. You cannot control temperature fluctuation in a small tank/bowl and will probably end up boiling your betta!!! Do a full water change and add one drop of Aquarisol and salt (per above proportions) to the water. If you have empty tank and heater, then move betta to it and raise temperature of water to 85 F as per above. The reason is that the parasites are sensitive to the heat and at 85F they become free swimming (detach themselves from betta’s skin and go for a swim in the water which contains the Aquarisol. Aquarisol then kills them). Guess their mothers never told them to never go for a swim right after dinner!! :)))). Note, BettaZing can also do the job, in case you do not have aquarisol on hand. if you have both, go with the old fashion Aquarisol recipe, it works great.

DISEASE: BACTERIAL INFECTION
red body sores typical of advanced bacterial infections

GENERAL INFO:
If the betta‘s water becomes fouled with uneaten food and fish waste, if it is not well filtered or if the jars are not kept sparkling clean, bacterial bloom will promptly occur and infect your fish. Sometimes you keep the water clean and the fish still gets a bacterial infection!! >8[. Why? because bacteria is resident in your tap water, in the air, on your hands etc... Usually healthy bettas have their immune system to protect them against these attacks. But bettas with a deficient immune system (when a betta is stressed, because it was scared, or moved or shipped, its immune system will become deficient) will catch whatever is lurking in the water, including the bacteria. They will have a “bacterial infection”. VERY CONTAGIOUS!!
SYMPTOMS: Betta may have clamped fins, lay at bottom or at surface, not eat, lose its color, turn gray, barely swim around. In more advanced cases, its body may start developing red patches, open sores and all kinds of nasty looking stuff. (Even holes in its head!! YIKES!!) Different bacteria affect fish differently. Some will attack the internal organs while others prefer to munch on the skin.
TREATMENT: Do a full water change for jars or a 70% water change for tanks. (To get rid of some of the bacteria present). Clean filter, change filtering system, remove any uneaten food rotting, or any dead fish!!! Isolate any bettas with symptoms if in a community tank.
You should also treat the whole tank. There is a wide variety of antibiotics available for fish. REMEMBER: Remove carbon from your filters before you add the meds!! The carbon would otherwise absorb all the medication and you would be flushing your money down the tube. Oh, and did I mention money?? Yes, brace yourself, cause your little fishies are gonna cost you a bundle, fish antibiotics can get pretty darn expensive - just as people's antibiotics are, as you well know!!
If the sick bettas are small fries, I truly recommend using Tetracycline or Ampicillin combined with Fungus Eliminator , or whatever you find at your store (look for “broad spectrum” antibiotics, though a good one is Kanamycin if you can find some). Follow manufacturer’s instructions and don’t stop the treatment until your bettas are well again. If betta is jarred, then as usual, figure out how much water your jar contains and divide the quantity of medication accordingly. Capsules are easier then tablets, because one can open a capsule and just sprinkle a tiny itsy bit of powder in jar. Tables, you will have to first crush, then divide. Well, have a blast!!!
sebamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #3 
Adastra

It could just be normal marbling. Some fish change color dramatically over their lifetime. If there is no change in scale texture or in the fish's behavior, he may be perfectly fine and is just changing colors on you. Here is an article that explains why and how bettas change their colors: http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #4 
ParadigmPenguin

Thank you both very much for your responses. I managed to take one quick photo. Had a tough time getting it in focus!

You can barely see it in this one. It's really on his left side. Unfortunately, he appears to prefer swimming around the bowl to the right, so I'm having trouble catching it. You can still see it though. Very light spot of discoloration on the very top/center. There's a fair amount of that (maybe three spots) of the left side.

I hadn't considered it could be normal. It isn't raised or abnormally textured. He's also swimming quite vigorously.

I'll keep an eye on him. Cheers and thanks again!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5 
sebamd

That looks exactly like the ones Chelle got when I transferred her into the 10 gallon, one of the decorations were a little rough on an opening and she hurt herself on those, she is fine now. So, check the decor and plants to see if they are safe for betta (pantyhose method) and keep an eye on probable other symptoms.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #6 
Adastra

The scales don't look scraped or disrupted to me, but it's hard to tell in the picture. Do the scales look smooth and completely normal except for the coloration? If so, my guess is that the fish is just marbling, especially if there's been no change in behavior.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #7 
ParadigmPenguin

Thanks again guys. I've (tentatively) confirmed the cause. I came back from class a few days ago to find my fish's head BURIED beneath a few rocks! The frantic movement of his fins indicated to me that he was obviously stuck. I slowly removed a couple of the rocks and he swam away with some cuts and bruises.

I've since moved him to a smaller tank with less dangerous substrate. I have also ordered some *smooth* stones from BiOrb. The "ceramic media" that comes with the BiOrb is very jagged. I had worried about it. He's doing better, anyway.

Now, question number 2. Why would he attempt to bury himself? Exploring and got stuck?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #8 
sebamd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmPenguin View Post
Thanks again guys. I've (tentatively) confirmed the cause. I came back from class a few days ago to find my fish's head BURIED beneath a few rocks! The frantic movement of his fins indicated to me that he was obviously stuck. I slowly removed a couple of the rocks and he swam away with some cuts and bruises.

I've since moved him to a smaller tank with less dangerous substrate. I have also ordered some *smooth* stones from BiOrb. The "ceramic media" that comes with the BiOrb is very jagged. I had worried about it. He's doing better, anyway.

Now, question number 2. Why would he attempt to bury himself? Exploring and got stuck?
Watch him to see if he's darting like crazy from side to side and rubbing himself on the subtract. if he is doing that, then he might have an external parasite he's trying to get rid off. if not, he's just hardheaded.