Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #11 
JKfish

Quote:
Hearing that changes my views.. if we can send a person to the moon we can create an in-tank water tester that constantly monitors water stats.
yep, we could, but people don't because apparently wasting rescources in unethical projects is so much more interesting :P
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #12 
Mermaid Fish

What do you think of hybrids? I love the blood parrot fish hybrid :D

Now what's horrible is tattoing/dyeing them. D:
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

From what I've read parrots have an extremely hard time being fed because of the shape of their mouths.

I don't really like any form of hybrid unless they have a special purpose (i.e. Mules). Muttly dogs (cockapoos and chiweenies etc) have no purpose so I don't see the point in mixing them. Same goes for other hybrids (ligers, zhorses, etc).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #14 
Mermaid Fish

lol i have 3 parrot fish in my 50 gallon. There so cute. :D
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #15 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
I had them and really didn't like them. I felt all of them, as I had 7 in a 10 gallon, were extremely aggresive.
Same here. I had some orange ones a few years ago. Walmart had just started to carry them. They ripped the fins off nearly every one of the 25 guppies in my community tank.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #16 
JKfish

breeding hybrids is extremely cruel in my mind. Did you know that when zoos mate a lion and tiger together to make ligers, the mother's often die because they aren't large enough to safely deliver the babies. The cubs are born with many problems, and they have very ... "interesting" dietary needs. They have physiclogical problems and often suffer from depression due to opposing instincts. After all, lions are pride animals and tigers are solitary. Lions dislike water, tigers love them. They are often put down after 3 years of their life because they are prone to giantism, which makes them "dangerous". The only point of their creation to was attract people to look at them in zoos and make their "homes" more money. That'd just be ligers. Don't even get me started on other hybrids.

some hybrids that just sort of happen, without humans making them are sort of alright. The growing population of Prizzly bears (polar grizzly bears) are alright, because their parents have similar patterns in behaviors and similar enviornments, so they are made naturally. However, they still aren't exactly good.

The rest that are useless, or exploited I feel shouldn't be made such a fuss over them. People use them to make money, that's it. Their lives typically aren't the best because of their different needs, and so on and so forth. However hybrid dogs (I just call them fancy mutts) are alright, even if they are sold for outrageous ammounts of money. After all, all dogs are one species.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #17 
Mermaid Fish

Prizzly. Is it just me or would that be an awsome name for a fish. XD
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #18 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
However hybrid dogs (I just call them fancy mutts) are alright, even if they are sold for outrageous ammounts of money. After all, all dogs are one species.
See but I don't understand paying hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on a dog you can get at the shelter for $100. Not to mention the breeders breeding these animals are not looking out for the health of the animal. Take puggles for example.. both of those breeds (Pug and Beagle) have lots of health problems and many of the mixes have the health problems of both of those breeds.

Not to mention people breeding "doodles" because they want a hypo-allergenic dog (no such thing BTW) when they could just go buy an actual poodle.

When breeders start breeding for money instead of the betterment of the breed is when things begin to go downhill.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #19 
purplemuffin

If it doesn't hurt, and it's for a good cause, I can see it being ok. I like their original intentions, but I've heard they made such a small amount originally that now the ones being sold as pets are becoming more and more inbred to where diseases are more common!

I don't like most hybrids, I mean don't get me wrong, mutts can be CUTE, but don't try to sell them as designer dogs. I'd gladly adopt whatever sweet dog is at a shelter, but when people are trying to make money off of their animals in any way they can, it gets a little iffy!

I hate unnatural hybrids. Snake hybrids are just AWFUL! The 'bateater'....Only a certain kind of breeder can make them, and those people are NOT good people. Most of the eggs will not survive. Many of the babies actually cannot break the egg, so if one does manage to hatch, the breeder will cut open the rest of the eggs, killing some of the less formed ones, discovering the half or more that just couldn't develop because they just AREN'T supposed to exist, and salvaging a few...They are then usually powerfed and sold to the public. It's nasty. THESE are the kind of people who breed genetic deformities that are actually harmful to animals, scaleless snakes born without a way to sense heat, animals with funky messed up limbs that cause their bones to be brittle..ugh, these are not designer animals, that's just gross!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #20 
sdg30064

Dog breeding is one area where pure breeding isnt always the best thing because they were selectively breed for so long that certain breeds have genetic problems like brittle bones and breathing problems(exspecially in small areas where they end up getting continuously inbreed).
sdg30064 is offline   Reply With Quote