Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Betta Fish Won't Eat

I am new to owning a Betta fish and am still learning how to care for one. I got my Betta fish 5 days ago and he hasn't been eating hardly anything I give him. The past two days I haven't seen him go for his food at all. I have tried giving him both flakes and pellets and he's just been sitting at the bottom and only coming up for air occationally. Sometimes he's a little more active as well.

I have been changing his water partially daily, he is in a .5gal tank, and have replaced the water with the same temperature water. I have a thermometer in the tank and the temperature hasn't changed much at all. I have conditioned the water as well even though the water here in Hawaii doesn't need it. My tank also has a small LED light that came with it. My fish's color is still vibrant so I do not think he is sick. Would he be more active if I got a 5gal tank? I am in college and money is kinda tight but I can compromise some how. Wal Mart as a 5gal tank for a pretty good price.

Can anyone help?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 
LoveSGSE

If you can get a 5g tank, go for it. You may wanna consider getting freeze dried bloodworms and / or frozen bloodworms. Bettas love them. Also, I don't think flakes are good for bettas... Your betta is still settling in, getting used to the new environment. So don't worry!
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #3 
animallover4lyfe

A 5 Gallon would be better, that way you can give him alot more space, and you can provide him with a heater and filter, which will give him a better quality of life. About the not eating, I have come across that a few times, what happens sometimes is the betta (where ever you purchased it from) could have been feeding them a different type/brand of food. Try frozen bloodworms or dried bloodworms, most bettas love them. With my bettas if they have no interest in eating, sometimes I move the pellet around, sometimes if they don't see the pellet they wont go for it. Sometimes if the betta is in a bigger tank, it wont know to go up to the surface for the food, but with your case its a very small bowl, so that shouldnt be the problem, try bloodworms see if that works!
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

This is pretty common when you first bring a new betta home. He just needs time to adjust to his new home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote