Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #1 
Lincoln

Exclamation TAIL ROT!? We need your INPUT

Sorry for reposting,
but our betta's tail problem is turning into a real emergency

Our betta Tiepolo has been loosing another big chunk of his tail overnight

Therefore we took him out of his aquarium and put him into a one gallon bowl, in order to medicate him and to be able to make daily 100% water changes.
This is our plan:

1 week daily water changes (100%)
Each day a bit aquarium salt
Each dose one dose of MELAFIX medicine

We still DO NOT KNOW if it is tail biting or fin rot
but
today his tail looks so terrifying, that we think it turned into TAIL ROT today (?)

Please look at the following two pics (one from yesterday and then one from today=worse tail) and let us know what you think:

Do you think MELAFIX will help?????

We do appreciate all input!

[IMG][/IMG]
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #2 
Ajones108

And I will re-post my message:

No no no, no Melafix. >.< If you have to use ANYTHING with a 'Fix' at the end of the name, use Bettafix. Melafix can harm the labrynth organ which allows them to breathe. They're surface-breathing fish. Don't add any medication to his water yet, just aquarium salt... If it doesn't look better tomorrow... Bettafix is a last resort. However, for the fin rot I'm about to treat my rescue for, I'm using Maracyn I. Safer than Bettafix/Melafix, and I know an excellent new way to dose Maracyn for smaller tanks.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #3 
Lincoln

Unhappy

Here some general quick information on how our betta has been kept before and is treated now (he's still active and hungry but his tail seems to be rotting away )

HOUSING:
Size: 5 gallon
Heater: yes (purchased recently)
Filter: yes
Air Stone: no
Tank mates: no
Gravel: yes
Decoration/Castle: yes (no sharp edges)
Plants: Silk plants

FOOD:
Pellets: twice a day 2 pellets
Bloodworms: every two weeks 2 bloodworms (frieze dried)

MAINTENANCE:
Water changes: every week 50-75 %
Water : tab water
Water conditioner: yes

WATER PARAMETERS:
Ammonia: 0.5 (should be 0 )
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2 (way too high but we didn't want to change it because we heard it stresses betta ?)
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT:
Change of betta's appearance:
It started 2 weeks with a split in his tail. We took out his old silk plants because they had plastic sticks and we thought he might have ripped his tail at the plastic. Tiepolo's tail was growing back slowly. We did additional water changes and added aquarium salt (the salt just once).
2 days ago we woke up and found half of his tail gone. It looked like tail biting but we also put a nylon over the filter intake feed, in case his tail had gotten in there.
Today 2/3 of his tail is gone. It starts looking like tail rot
His other fins don't seem to be affected.

Change of betta's behavior:
Until yesterday no change. He is active and hungry and curious like always.
However, something seems to be up since last night/today, he seems to rest more (no wonder when you look at his tail, it must hurt )

Have you started treating your fish?:
Yes, we put Tiepolo into a 1 gallon bowl in order to make daily water changes
and to add aquarium salt and medicine.
We started giving him MELAFIX, but we don't know if it will help. Should we rather start giving Anti-Fungus medicine????

...Tiepolo is our first betta, we have him only 2 months now and we do really care and want to make him healthy again.
We would appreciate your advice/input/sharing experience (we read through most of the older threads but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer/diagnosis )
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #4 
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
And I will re-post my message:

No no no, no Melafix. >.< If you have to use ANYTHING with a 'Fix' at the end of the name, use Bettafix. Melafix can harm the labrynth organ which allows them to breathe. They're surface-breathing fish. Don't add any medication to his water yet, just aquarium salt... If it doesn't look better tomorrow... Bettafix is a last resort. However, for the fin rot I'm about to treat my rescue for, I'm using Maracyn I. Safer than Bettafix/Melafix, and I know an excellent new way to dose Maracyn for smaller tanks.
Oh, we did hear bad about Bettafix/Melafix. The store my fiance went to had no Maracyn I (or is it the Anti-Fungus medicine = Maracyn I )
How to dose?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #5 
metalbetta

From the looks of it, he might be biting his tail. I have a biter too, and sometimes he'll take a chunk out of it overnight, and more often than not it looks worse than your guy. In fact I've caught him in the act before. Soooo irritating.

Are the tips of his damaged fins black, white, an odd color? If so he might have fin rot, but I don't see anything from the pics.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Maracyn I by Mardel is "For treatment and control of body fungus "columnaris," fin and tail rot, popeye and gill disease in <insert fish names here>"
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #7 
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
Are the tips of his damaged fins black, white, an odd color? If so he might have fin rot, but I don't see anything from the pics.
The tips of his fins have always been a bit darker but it didn't seem to be fin rot in the past.
Yesterday there was no color change on the tips but today we notice a tiny tiny white fluffiness around the shredded tail parts and some black areas too.

If he bit his tail, it might have turned into tail rot because of the damage now (my theory)

We kept him entertained, I wonder what turns a happy betta into tailbiters???
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #8 
Lincoln

Lightbulb

Quote:
Maracyn I by Mardel is "For treatment and control of body fungus "columnaris," fin and tail rot, popeye and gill disease in <insert fish names here>"
Thank you,
I think we gonna buy that tomorrow, just in case....
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #9 
Ajones108

IF you buy Maracyn I for Fin Rot, I have an easier method of dosing it. It's a powder medication and the packet is dosed for 10 gallons.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #10 
Lincoln

Quote:
IF you buy Maracyn I for Fin Rot, I have an easier method of dosing it. It's a powder medication and the packet is dosed for 10 gallons.
We gonna check out the store for this.

Just wondering:
Do you put medication in aquarium and if yes, does the filter have to be removed for the time the medicine is put in? (wonder if medicine would have a negative affect on filter cartridge/bio filter...?)

Tiepolo is now in a 1 gallon bowl, easier to make the water changes this way...we hope for the best