Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #1 
Esonia

Need advice on Betta fin-degeneration

I got my betta from local pet shop many months ago, problem was as soon as I bought him he started to lose his fin. Here's the sequence of event how he started losing his fins,

1) Few weeks after I got him, I realized his fin was going away, problem was because of artificial plants I had in aquarium, so I removed every single one of them and just left him with one single ornament.

2) Few weeks after that, I got a tetra to live with him, for the first few weeks they got along just fine. But I noticed gradually that his fin was going away very fast, but could not figure out why that was happening. So I started using melafix to see if it would help him grow his fin back up.

3) Few weeks after without any success, I realized the tetra was the culprit of the fin-rot, so I removed him and had him placed on the other smaller aquarium I had. Then I started treat him by just adding aquarium salts in his water tank.

4) For few months I think his fin was regenerating back steadily, but the regeneration stopped and he started to lose the fin again, desperate, I started treating him with bunch of different things (not all at once, but each of them with specific prescribed periods given) I tried using anti-bacteria, fungus, parasite but nothing really has worked at all.

Currently the oddest thing about his fin rot is that the edge of his fins are very smooth, there doesn't seem to be any visible fungus-patches as well. I'm really baffled, it's been many months since he started losing his fins, it's not even stopping and it's still going way. Physically and mentally he is very active and healthy, it's just that his fins are going away and I tried everything to stop it. Most of his fins are gone and I'm really deseprate about him, can you guys help me?

Thank you.
Esonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #2 
Owlets

A picture would help, but it seems like tailbiting. I've had two tailbiters in my time, and its usually stress-related, or boredom.

Also, tetra's really shouldn't be housed with betta's, as they are tail nippers - as you found out. They are also schooling fish, and should be housed in groups. c:

I could probably help more if there was a picture! Sorry!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #3 
Esonia

It's bit blur, but you can see how much of his fins are gone. =/
Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #4 
Owlets

Hmmm, it COULD be tailbiting, but I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will know better!
If it is tailbiting, just make sure his water is clean and maybe fill his tank with more silk plants and such, or put some things up around his tank so he has something to look at. Tailbiting is really frustrating to deal with, since nobody REALLY knows why they do it!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #5 
Esonia

Thanks for the advice, another question though. Should I be concerned with white-filmlike deposit on my black sand bottom? Everytime I stir the water up it just floats around in the water like bunch of small feathers and even if I try getting rid of it, it just keeps coming back.

Last edited by Esonia; 09-11-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Mis-spell
Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #6 
Owlets

Pretty sure thats a protein build up, which comes off of fish food (depending on what kind you use) and such. Not sure though, I have the same thing happening at the moment, so hopefully someone else can come and answer this for us!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #7 
fishman12

What water conditioner are you using? I used aqueons water conditioner(not the betta bowl one) and my fish started going to town on his tail...Then I used Nutrafin Betta Plus and he stopped! So maybe you should try that. That white stuff might be from internal Parasites, but if you put medication for that in the water, it is probably something else.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote