Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm
Member
 
puppyrjjkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Other fish for 10 gallon?

I have one male betta and a mystery snail in a 10 gallon. What sort of fish, not bottom feeders could I get and how many? Would prefer NO platies, tetras, mollies, as I have them in a large community tank. Thanks.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #2 
Alex09
Member
 
Alex09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
That leaves you with... Tiger barbs? JK dont put tiger barbs in there.

What kind of tetras do you have? Theres so many...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #3 
Fermin
Member
 
Fermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
It really depends on your betta's personality. Some are sweethearts who don't seem to mind having tankmates; others are psychopathic killers who will murder anything that moves (I have both types of bettas).

If your betta has a sweetheart personality, you can try adding a tankmate. This should be something that in no way resembles another betta (so avoid anything colorful and with long flowy fins).

Keep in mind that if it doesn't work out you will need to remove either the betta or the new tankmate and house them separately. This means that now you will have an additional tank to care for...
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 
Alex09
Member
 
Alex09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermin View Post
It really depends on your betta's personality. Some are sweethearts who don't seem to mind having tankmates; others are psychopathic killers who will murder anything that moves (I have both types of bettas).

If your betta has a sweetheart personality, you can try adding a tankmate. This should be something that in no way resembles another betta (so avoid anything colorful and with long flowy fins).

Keep in mind that if it doesn't work out you will need to remove either the betta or the new tankmate and house them separately. This means that now you will have an additional tank to care for...
I hear that all the time. I will try adding cories to my 10 gal. If it doesnt work out then they'll just have to go live with the goldfish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #5 
JB5
New Member
 
JB5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Morgan Hill, Ca
zebra danios are good. I just got some rosy zebra danios. They are very entertaining. But our betta gets along with all his tank mates.
JB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #6 
puppyrjjkm
Member
 
puppyrjjkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Yeah, he has been with frogs and his snail and he's fine. I could always move them into the big tank if necessary.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #7 
littlesis96
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
silly question but what happens if you add other fish to a 10 gal tank with a male beta. My brother gave my 12 yr old a bunch of random fish to add with his beta and I really have no clue what they are. I know for sure one is a ghost shrimp and looking at pics online i think one might be a tiger barb but I'm really not sure.
littlesis96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #8 
Alex09
Member
 
Alex09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Take pics and post them here. You betta may attack any fancy colored fish with long fins. Tiger barbs are a big no for bettas as they can rip a bettas fins to shreds.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #9 
Fermin
Member
 
Fermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
I hear that all the time. I will try adding cories to my 10 gal. If it doesnt work out then they'll just have to go live with the goldfish.
Adding your cories to your goldfish tank may be problematic depending on both their species. If your goldfish are a lot larger than your cories they may try to eat them. In addition, some species of cory prefer water temps to be warmer than that comfortable to goldfish. Goldfish also produce a lot of ammonia and waste, so if your cory species is particular sensitive to water quality you may have to test regularly to maintain excellent water conditions. Just some things to keep in mind.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #10 
Alex09
Member
 
Alex09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermin View Post
Adding your cories to your goldfish tank may be problematic depending on both their species. If your goldfish are a lot larger than your cories they may try to eat them. In addition, some species of cory prefer water temps to be warmer than that comfortable to goldfish. Goldfish also produce a lot of ammonia and waste, so if your cory species is particular sensitive to water quality you may have to test regularly to maintain excellent water conditions. Just some things to keep in mind.
yeah I know but its either live with the goldfish or get eaten by mr. betta. My goldies are only about 3" including the tail so I doubt they'll try to eat them. And I remember reading that cories can live in temps slightly cooler than what is appropriate for other tropical fish... Well it depends, If I can return them I may. I just hope they DO get along with my betta.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What fish for a 10 gallon? Oakly Betta Fish Compatibility 13 08-26-2010 02:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.