Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #21 
rejohnson53

Snails can be dangerous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I got a live plant with snail eggs on it, snauls haven't hatched yet. It does get cold in the winter so would they be ok in a 300 gallon pond (all the offspring except for four or five per tank, so about 20-30 being kept)?
Can you determine what kind of snails they are? If they are exotic snails, I wouldn't recommend putting them in an outdoor pond mostly because some would probably wander off and escape. Then you have loose exotic snails. I'm not sure if that would pose a large ecological threat where you are, but better safe than sorry. A lot of snail infestations in wild areas were started because it was assumed that escaped or released snails would never survive to breed. Here in Florida we have exotic apple snails (a.k.a. "Mystery snails") invading our wetlands, so please pardon my paranoia when it comes to aquarium snails getting loose.

Also keep in mind that if you have several snails per tank, soon they may start breeding (rapidly) and they become an infestation. Then you wind up having to kill most of them anyway just to keep their numbers under control.

I would definitely figure out what species they are first. If they are a species you like, then keep as many as you feel you should, but if they are an undesirable species and no one else wants them, you may have to dispose of them . I know it sounds cruel and heartless to kill unwanted baby snails, but if they are a pest species then there is no way around it.

Or maybe you're lucky and they're trumpet snails or something cool like that, and your local pet store may take in the extra snails you don't keep. But in answer to your question, I would not put any kind of non-native snail in a pond of any size.
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #22 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejohnson53 View Post
Can you determine what kind of snails they are? If they are exotic snails, I wouldn't recommend putting them in an outdoor pond mostly because some would probably wander off and escape. Then you have loose exotic snails. I'm not sure if that would pose a large ecological threat where you are, but better safe than sorry. A lot of snail infestations in wild areas were started because it was assumed that escaped or released snails would never survive to breed. Here in Florida we have exotic apple snails (a.k.a. "Mystery snails") invading our wetlands, so please pardon my paranoia when it comes to aquarium snails getting loose.

Also keep in mind that if you have several snails per tank, soon they may start breeding (rapidly) and they become an infestation. Then you wind up having to kill most of them anyway just to keep their numbers under control.

I would definitely figure out what species they are first. If they are a species you like, then keep as many as you feel you should, but if they are an undesirable species and no one else wants them, you may have to dispose of them . I know it sounds cruel and heartless to kill unwanted baby snails, but if they are a pest species then there is no way around it.

Or maybe you're lucky and they're trumpet snails or something cool like that, and your local pet store may take in the extra snails you don't keep. But in answer to your question, I would not put any kind of non-native snail in a pond of any size.
I've never had snails, but I've been breeding bettas for a while so I'm going to use them with my new babies. I'll contact the breeder who sent them and ask what kind.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

This is a great thread.

Down here we have Kudzu.. it grows so fast that they have to burn it back because it will creep over roadways during the night. In Savannah we also have spanish moss.. its really pretty but its a pain because it is on EVERY tree.. no matter what size. Its almost impossible to get rid of.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #24 
sdg30064

not to mention redbugs nest in the spanish moss 1f2f, we had someone come visit and wanted to take some back up to the atl with them and when we told them that they wanted to take ten showers...lol
sdg30064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #25 
rejohnson53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg30064 View Post
not to mention redbugs nest in the spanish moss 1f2f, we had someone come visit and wanted to take some back up to the atl with them and when we told them that they wanted to take ten showers...lol
Redbugs nest in spanish moss? O_o I think I'LL go take a shower now. We were just getting that stuff out of our yard yesterday. ych.
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #26 
1fish2fish

You won't always get them if you touch the moss (they're not on every moss) but its always a good precaution to wear gloves if your going to touch it.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #27 
sdg30064

however if you do get bitten rub the bite down in alcohol(best way to kill them if they imbed themselves.
sdg30064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #28 
1fish2fish

or you can cover it with nail polish.. that will suffocate them.