Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #1 
ashleyy

Exclamation How can I ease the dying process?

Little Nadador still isn't getting any better. :(

He hasn't hardly eaten anything expect for a bit of a flake two days ago, of which he spit up most of it.

Before I went to school today I put 3 flakes and one pellet in his tank.
They were all still intact when I got home.

On my way home today I got a package of bloodworms and a bottle of sun-dried baby shrimp. I was very excited when I got home... I was thinking he would magically bolt out of his cave and devour the bloodworm. Nope. I even took a clean ( I boiled it) tweezer to lower the bloodworm down to him. Nope.
I put the shrimp in there. Nope. I left them all in there and came back an hour later. Nope.

He is just hiding in his cave and if I can make him come out, he stays on the bottom and slightly tilts to the side.

Also yesterday he was "yawning" a lot.

I am quite sure he is dying and it breaks my heart because my intention was to bring him home from those horrible conditions that he was in at Wal-Mart and nurse him back to health. But now I think I just prolonged his miserable life. *sigh*

I put in a heater even though the temp is about 75 degree, I figured boosting it a bit could help him along.

I was wondering if this is the signs of him dying. And if so what should I do to make him more comfortable?

I'm so sympathetic towards animals. :( My dad is just like "flush him already!" I can't do that..

I'll post my stats if it will help any:

Housing
What size is your tank? --2.5 gallon critter tote
What temperature is your tank? --75 degrees, it will be a bit higher now that I just put in a heater.
Does your tank have a filter? --No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? --No
Is your tank heated? --It is now as of a few hours ago.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? --No one.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? --I've tried feeding him pellet food that was made for Betta fish and honestly I don't think he ever touched it. He did eat a tiny amount of Tropical Fish Flake Medley with color enhancers. I tried feeding him bloodworms and sun dried baby shrimp and he wouldn't have it.
How often do you feed your betta fish? --I try 3 times a day. He would never eat so I would scoop out the left overs and just try again later. I'm giving up now and leaving it in there so he can eat when he wants to.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? --every 3-4 days or sooner if I think the water is getting cloudy ( I've only had him since 9/2/10)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? -- 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? --Start Rite water conditioner. This time i added a few drops of BetaFix.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: "Safe"
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? -- Has gotten very emaciated looking. There is a tiny notch on the bottom of his stomach. He has gotten pale. His fins are growing back though...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? --He used to bolt all around the tank when I first got him, now he hides in his cave and hardly ever comes out. He is definitely not eating now. He slightly tilts to the side whenever he does come out of the cave. He also seems to let himself float or sink.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? --Last Friday (9/9/10) progressively getting worse.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? --Just trying to treat him normal. I did put in a few drops of BetaFix in his last water change which I did Sunday (9/12/10)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? --Not that I know of. I got him at my local Wal-Mart. His water was EXTREMELY dirty and his fins seem to have been broken off in some spots.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no clue. I bought him on 9/2/10
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Just give him time. If you just brought him home from wal-mart he might need time to adjust. Even though it's been like two weeks... I'm not sure.

I recommend doing another 100% WC to get the leftover food out of his tank since the water could get toxic with all of it in there. Until then just let him do his thing and hope for the best. Hopefully the heater will help him out some.

Edit: I would stop using the Bettafix though. If I used anything to help out a store-bought emaciated and lethargic fish, I would use Methylene Blue for a few days. That's what I did for my little yellow guy. Daily water changes with no media in his tank, just water, AQ salt, and methylene blue.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote