Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #21 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
i'd say go with the kit. i've had it, and its a pretty good betta home. (my betta now lives in a half gallon critter carrier) some people may tell you they need a heater and filter but they can live in a half gallon tank IF IT IS CLEANED AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK! and definately rinse the gravel!
Uh... No.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #22 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex09 View Post
uh... No.

+100
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #23 
Alex09

I used to have a betta in a .25 gal critter keeper when I was 12. The only thing in there besides the fish were some glass stones. I overfed him. I cleaned it once a week (as the pet store told me to). To clean it I would dump out the old water, put in new water, and the fish back in. and surprisingly the fish made it several months before winter came. It also developed a horrible case of fin rot (I just thought he was old) and died of cold. I feel bad now :'( Oh well. Im more grown up now and a more dedicated owner. If a life is in my hands then I will do all in my power to make sure it is happy. Not that I was a bad person when I was 12, I just wasnt educated in fishkeeping and I didn't have the money to be buying fancy tanks and heaters and such. Now that I look back, I had no right to keep that fish If I couldnt take care of it in a proper way.

PS: Nothing against the OP - just a random rant :P
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #24 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
I used to have a betta in a .25 gal critter keeper when I was 12. The only thing in there besides the fish were some glass stones. I overfed him. I cleaned it once a week (as the pet store told me to). To clean it I would dump out the old water, put in new water, and the fish back in. and surprisingly the fish made it several months before winter came. It also developed a horrible case of fin rot (I just thought he was old) and died of cold. I feel bad now :'( Oh well. Im more grown up now and a more dedicated owner. If a life is in my hands then I will do all in my power to make sure it is happy. Not that I was a bad person when I was 12, I just wasnt educated in fishkeeping and I didn't have the money to be buying fancy tanks and heaters and such. Now that I look back, I had no right to keep that fish If I couldnt take care of it in a proper way.

\

xD sorry i laughed when i read this. im 12 years old, got my fish a month ago, and i have him in a 2.5 gal filtered tank that i do 30% water changes once a week and lots of bright l.e.d lights and live plants :D
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #25 
peaches3221

well, i read on betta talk (another betta fish website) that a half gallon bowl should be cleaned once or twice a week. http://bettatalk.com/housing.htm (under set-up #3)
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #26 
JKfish

Sorry to burst your bubble Peaches, but no. Just no. Before i figured out betta care, that was what I was doing to Puffy. I don't have pictures to show you how well he was "thriving" (*coughdyingcough*) but I can tell you, it was bad enough for me to get really concerned about. Without any filter, cycling, or live plants, ammonia builds up so quickly, it's horrible. Even 100% daily doesn't cut it. When I was getting a tank together for Puffy and cycling it, and cleaning his death kit every day, he still had severe fin rot and biting issues and glass surfing issues. All in all, even with the best care in those things, a betta will become a wreck. Also, it's better to have clean water with a slightly stressed fish than dirty water and a dirty fish. Clean water combats sickness more than stress causes it.
Besides, the articles says the following:
Quote:
The smaller jar (half gallon or so) may also be a suitable betta home but will require constant cleaning. bettas in this type of set-up will tend to deteriorate and more than likely will end up getting fin and tail rot and other bacterial diseases
Prometheus, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but you will want to invest in a good heater for your tank as well. Being tropical fish, bettas need constant warm water temperatures that do not fluctuate, otherwise they can become sick. :)

Last edited by JKfish; 09-13-2010 at 09:40 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #27 
SilverCaracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post

That cracked me up!! I was just the same...well now I'm a bit more experienced. My betta lives in a filtered 2.5 gallon with live plants and all that stuff.

Peaches - I used to have one of those kits. Your betta will survive for a few months, but he will develope a serious case of fin rot. I learned it the hard way because now Ares has a blob looking tail :( It won't grow back...

Oh and if you have one of those 1/2 gallon things, they need to be cleaned every 1-2 days.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta kit