Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #1 
Welsh
Member
 
Welsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Wales, UK
What an earth to do with this?

A few months back my sister picked me up a piece of bogwood at an lfs, I didnt want to hurt her feelings so I thanked her and stuck some moss on the thing but its the ugliest piece I have ever seen and I have no idea what to do with it. Its been in both Clarke Gable and Elmos tanks but it just looks completely out of place lol, I was wondering whether any of you can come up with something creative for me lol

Much appreciated


Ooh, my bad no pic.... bare with me :p



Last edited by Welsh; 09-14-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #2 
vaygirl
Member
 
vaygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middlesex County, NJ
Wow, that is a huge piece. Does it take up most of the tank?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #3 
weluvbettas
Member
 
weluvbettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England!;)
That looks huge!
Instead of laying it down you could stand it up and have large rocks round the bottom of it? So it would. Look like a wooden pier leg like the ones you get at the seaside? If you get what I mean.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #4 
Alex09
Member
 
Alex09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Lol. That thing is way too geometric. The ones that twist and curl all over the place are the best. How big is it? How big are your tanks?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #5 
vaygirl
Member
 
vaygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middlesex County, NJ
I like weluv's idea actually. A pier or bridge is a good idea. Or even a platform.

I was also thinking you could stuff the little holes with anubias. I've done that on some of my driftwood. The roots usually grow into the hole and hold it there.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #6 
weluvbettas
Member
 
weluvbettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England!;)
yay for my idea!!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #7 
Welsh
Member
 
Welsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Wales, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Wow, that is a huge piece. Does it take up most of the tank?


Yeah it takes up half the tank in length but height wise its fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
That looks huge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
Instead of laying it down you could stand it up and have large rocks round the bottom of it? So it would. Look like a wooden pier leg like the ones you get at the seaside? If you get what I mean.
Thats a good idea but I tried standing it up earlier and it sticks out the top of the tank :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Lol. That thing is way too geometric. The ones that twist and curl all over the place are the best. How big is it? How big are your tanks?


Those are the ones i prefer too but when she brought it home for me I didn't want to seem ungrateful lol. My tanks are 6.5 UK gallons and 4 UK gallons.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #8 
Adastra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
You could sand down parts of it to make it more rounded and natural looking. Since it's so soft it probably wouldn't take much time at all to change the shape to make it less square.

One thing that would probably really help would be to get a marimo ball and cover the wood with it. It would help soften the shape of it without being obtrusive, and it doesn't hurt the marimo at all. Simply feel around the ball for a soft spot, then slowly peel the ball open and tie the moss onto the wood. It will attach itself fairly quickly and as it spreads it will give the wood a much more curved organic look.

This site has an example: http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/M...l-dwmarimo.htm

You could also break it into a smaller pieces and make a betta lean-to out of it. :)

Last edited by Adastra; 09-14-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #9 
weluvbettas
Member
 
weluvbettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England!;)
Couldent you add it to the girls tanks??
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #10 
Welsh
Member
 
Welsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Wales, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You could sand down parts of it to make it more rounded and natural looking. Since it's so soft it probably wouldn't take much time at all to change the shape to make it less square.

One thing that would probably really help would be to get a marimo ball and cover the wood with it. It would help soften the shape of it without being obtrusive, and it doesn't hurt the marimo at all. Simply feel around the ball for a soft spot, then slowly peel the ball open and tie the moss onto the wood. It will attach itself fairly quickly and as it spreads it will give the wood a much more curved organic look.

This site has an example: http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/Malaysian-driftwood-covered-in-Marimo-ball-moss-ball-dwmarimo.htm

You could also break it into a smaller pieces and make a betta lean-to out of it. :)
I quite like that idea I was also thinking maybe I could cut it so that there are smaller to larger ones and sort of position them so it kinda stands like stone henge or a shipwreck lol i dont know, it makes sense in my head lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
Couldent you add it to the girls tanks??
I already have a large piece in there and its chocker block anyway lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOW ON EARTH could this get any worse?! flying fish Betta Fish Care 14 11-26-2009 08:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.