Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #1 
BeccaBoo

Question Betta Won't Eat!

I'm starting to get a little frustrated because I've had my betta for a week now and he still won't eat. I thought maybe he didn't like the pellets I got so I bought some Bio-Gold for him and he acted interested in them but all he did was spit it out.

That's all he's been doing, either ignoring the food or spitting it out. Other than that, he's a happy, active, playful little guy. I would really appreciate any help or advice. I really want to be the best betta mommy I can be.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Have a few questions......

How big is the container, how much and how often are the water changes, filtration, live plants, additives, water temp? Water quality and temp can affect appetite.

Do you have access to any live foods like mosquito larva? Have you tried putting a drop or two of fresh garlic juice on his food-sometimes garlic can stimulate the appetite
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #3 
BeccaBoo

He's in a 2.5 gallon mini bow aquarium. I've only had him a week but in that time I've done 1 50% water change and 2 100% water changes. I know that may sound like a lot but I had to because of all the uneaten food and for some reason, the filter cartridge in my tank messed up and was no longer filtering the water so the water became very cloudy and that's why I had to do the 2nd 100% change and buy a new filter cartridge. In the future I plan to do 1 50% change and 1 100% change a week (my tank isn't cycled). Does that sound ok?

I don't have any live plants and the temp stays between 80 and 82 degrees (usually right at 81). I don't know of anywhere I can get mosquito larva and I haven't tried fresh garlic juice. Is there a particular type of garlic juice I should use or will any kind from the grocery store work?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In your 2.5g filtered tank-I would do twice weekly 50% water changes and vacuum with one of them or give the substrate a stir to get the mulm/waste up in the water column and either dip out half the water with a plastic cup, turkey baster or siphon

Turn your filter off and unplug the heater before water changes-once you re-fill with fresh dechlorinalted water and turn the filter and heater back on the water should clear within a hour or two

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow-over cleaning or changing the filter media can cause mini cycles or spikes

I only use fresh garlic-I crush it and use the juice on the food.

I would hold all food for a day or so and then offer small amount and remove if he does not eat the food-wait a day and try again...he will eat when he gets hungry-he won't starve to death....they can go months without food

If you live in an area that has mosquito-put a fresh bowl of dechlorinated water outside and wait and let nature happen....you should have larva within a week or less-rinse and feed.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #5 
BeccaBoo

Thanks for the help, Oldfishlady!

I'll try to pick up some garlic today. And I'm also going to try the mosquito thing. I live in Georgia and we have woods behind our house so there's definitely not a shortage of mosquitoes.

You've really eased my mind.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 
bloo97

Quote:
I've only had him a week...
He also may be adjusting to his new enviroment..this can take a week or two.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote