Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #31 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindygao0217 View Post
Don't get the wellness salmon one they have bone in them and bone are bad for dog stomache

Aside from the fact that dogs have been eating bones for a long long time, fish bones are not anything to worry about...... The suspected bones are pulverized anyway.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #32 
Tolak

Quote:
Don't get the wellness salmon one they have bone in them and bone are bad for dog stomache
Google the BARF diet for dogs, you'll see how harmless bones can be.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #33 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Salmon is one of the most easy to digest proteins available for dogs. That is why most limited ingredient diets have at least one salmon option. Wellness Simple Salmon is the only food I feed my dogs.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #34 
Tolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Salmon is one of the most easy to digest proteins available for dogs. That is why most limited ingredient diets have at least one salmon option. Wellness Simple Salmon is the only food I feed my dogs.
Orijen makes a 6 Fish dog food, if they were to drop the fat content a bit it would make a fish food on par with the premium brands, at $5 per pound. As it is it's an awesome growth food for fry, for being dog food.

I've talked to smaller fish food manufacturers, as well as Orijen about this. Some of the smaller guys sell products with a higher fat content, with no negative feedback when used properly. If they ever make a reduced fat 6 Fish I'll be feeding all my fish for cheap!

I'll have to look into the Wellness Salmon, this may be another dog/fish food alternative. As it is no doubt it's an excellent dog food.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #35 
LittleBettaFish

We feed the Wellness Core Ocean Formula to one of our German Shepherds, because we used to have her on Earthborn Holistic Primitive, and she was so itchy and miserable on it.

She does really well on that, and it was good at keeping weight on her, when we were getting her fit and biking her 4-5 times a week.

Our other two just get the Original Formula Wellness Core.

I definitely think on the higher quality foods, there is a difference in things like coat quality. One of our dogs always has a crap coat, but on the Wellness Core he at least gets a bit of shine to it. Our two girls have coats that are so glossy they could be on a shampoo commercial. I see a lot of dogs that I know get fed on the cheaper brands of food, who have very dead or dry looking coats. My dad's dog and the two dogs next door are the ones that come immediately to mind.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #36 
OSD

As someone who has worked in a kennel for over three years, you can totally tell which dogs eat crap food. Heck I can tell what dogs eat Beneful and Science diet based on the color of their stool. Coats and body condition are big tells. It's even more obvious when their older. No one ever guesses my 13 year old's age, despite her greying face she's even been mistaken for a puppy.

Wellness makes some great foods. I really wanted CORE to work for my girl, but it just didn't. Thankfully she does amazing on Acana and Farmina. If you're really on a budget there are some decent foods that aren't horribly expensive. The great thing about feeding higher quality foods, you really do feed less of it. In the end it's cheaper than feeding crap.
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #37 
Kaffrin

Welp, I've got a cat. -kicked out of thread-

She is such a finnicky eater. I've gone through so many brands with her... I don't know too much about dog foods, but assuming we're looking at ingredients and price (I totally used the link to figure out what brand feed my cat when she was teeny-tiny, don't judge!)
I settled between these two brands as they were very close in price locally and similar ingredients for the "flavors" I was looking for.

Blue vs. Wellness

I fell for the science diet joke of food ;P I learned a little tip from my local Petsmart employee. "You'll see how we have all the really cheap looking food in the back, right? That's where all the -insert profanity- foods are. I always see people going straight for the back, it's a shame!" Ie- Fancy feast, Iams, Science Diet etc.

Last edited by Kaffrin; 07-06-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Kaffrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #38 
offthehook

I have a Yorkie-Poo (who is now 14 years old) and love her more than life itself. While you have a Cockapoo and not a Yorkie-Poo, I see a big similarity from when my dog was a puppy and yours. Our dog would NOT eat dog food no matter what we tried. Eventually our vet told us to try Eukanuba (make sure you get the kind for puppies) and fortunately she ate it.

However, she has been finicky about what she will eat over the years. Sammy (my dog) never took to wet food and every few years we would have to switch around dog food simply by trial and error. Since your dog is still fairly young I would try a few different kinds (ask your Vet if they small bags of different ones you could try to save money).

Side note - one of the biggest mistakes we made was giving her people food. Even though it might be a small amount, it was enough to fill her up because she's so small. I would cut out people food entirely until you can find a dog food she'll eat. Could you perhaps try feeding her at a separate time as your other animals or somewhere in the house the other dogs/cats can't fight her for it? Just trying to through out random ideas and suggestions. I know how hard it can be to get a picky dog to eat :)
offthehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #39 
TripleChrome

I have a Chihuahua who eats Caeser really good, and my other dogs eat the brand Pedigree and the generic brand of Pedigree from PetSmart called Grreat Choice. You could probably try that. My dogs are eating Grreat Choice and Pedigree really good, since that is the only brands they will eat.
TripleChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #40 
Tolak

Dog Food Reviews - Pedigree Large Breed - Powered by ReviewPost

"Overall this is one of the lowest quality products reviewed on this site. It receives a 1* rating due to the unavailability of anything lower."

I'd feed my dogs earthworms dug from the garden with my teeth before I'd feed them Pedigree. It would be a healthier diet for them, and a lot less misery for me in the long run.