Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 
miyko

Unhappy floating to top?

ok so i got wesson yesterday and the best way to describe what is going on is like he is supper flaoty like he stuggles to swim to the bottem of the tank and when he does to stay down he pops him self under one of the plant leaves... i though maybe it was bordem and put the mirror in he just acts like its not there... no abnormalatys physicly.. is it possible the water is ... thick? i accidently put to much stress coat should i change the watter and see?
miyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #2 
miyko

also can some one describe what fin rot and ich would looklike on a red viel tail trying to figure out possibilities that i thought may have just been markings when i got him yesterday
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #3 
FireKidomaru

i believe your fishy has swim bladder problems...thats why he cant stay at the bottom and swim freely..thats my diagnosis right now..maybe OFL will be able to help..very sorry for your fishy
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #4 
miyko

also am very confuzed by this because he was not doing it at the store and he had a MASIVE bubble nest going in his little cup... he also has not eaten... i feed one pellet at a time normally 3 pelets 2twice a day for one his size... ( he's a pretty big boy :D) but he didn't want to touch any of it... he is not bloated also doesn't look likea normal VT he has like two "spikes" coming out from his top fin it looks really cool almost like he is part crown tail in that one spot if anyone knows what i mean..
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #5 
FireKidomaru

how often do you change his water? and 3 pellets once a day will be fine...their stomach is only the size of their eye..also the spikes are probably just a fin deformation nothing to worry about
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 
miyko

well i changed his water again today 100% just in case for my 1 gal (wich he is in) i would normally do 25% daily and 50% twice a week and then every other week 100% but i just got him yesterday so
Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

hmmmmm well try fasting him for a like 3 days and see if that helps, also only feed him 3-4 pellets a day
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Some Betta can have deformed swim bladders and this can happen at the breeder, sometimes called "fallers" usually they are destroyed and sometimes they can get over it for it to only come back as they mature.

Sometimes it can be a simple infection or inflammation of the swim bladder or the duct between the swim bladder and intestines

Sometimes it can be a cold/virus and the labyrinth is inflamed/infected from breathing too cold/dry air

When in the temporary cup at the store it is hard to tell if they have any of these conditions due to the fact that there is not enough room for them to swim in the first place

Sometimes Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days can help-if it is infection/inflammation along with plastic veggie wrap over the top of the tank to keep the air above the water warm and humid and lower water level so the fish doesn't have to struggle so much.

Fresh clean dechlorinated water are good treatments along with a cover of some type over the tank to maintain warm/humid air for them to breath, often they can't tolerate any type of filtration or water movement and some even need the lower water level for life.

When it is related to deform swim bladder-all you can do is make them comfy and as long as they don't seem to be suffering-they can live a normal life.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote