Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Need help feeding betta and adfs

Ive had the Betta for 3 days. It always stays at the bottom of the tank so idk how to feed him.

The adfs stay under the bridge I have in my tank. I was told they eat freeze dried blood worms but they also never come to the top. idk how to feed them! Any advice?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Do they share the same tank? What size?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #3 
thegameksk

Yes they do. Its a 5 gallon tank
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #4 
Adastra

African dwarf frogs are extremely challenging to own because of the feeding aspect. They're almost completely blind and hunt by smell, so in the race to get food from the surface, the frogs will always lose against the betta.

I don't recommend feeding freeze-dried blood worms to either animal as a staple. You should really do more research into the dietary needs of ADFs. What a lot of people do with poor-sighted fish and other critters is to designate a certain spot on the bottom of the tank for feeding. You can put a small dish or a flat rock on the bottom and set the food in the same place every time. Eventually the frogs will learn to go to the same spot to eat every day--however, in order for this to happen you will probably have to put the betta in a cup during feedings, or leave him netted in the tank so that the frogs will have access to food.

Did the tank undergo the nitrogen cycle before you put them in? Frogs are very sensitive to ammonia and changes in water parameters. They are not good candidates at all for fish-in cycling and the 100% change method would not be a good long-term solution for such sensitive animals.. if the tank isn't already cycled, I think you should consider keeping them in a temporary container, such as a sterilite or rubbermaid storage bin while the tank is cycling. These bins are only about $3 for a 5 gallon container--you'd only have to change it about once a week while your other tank is cycling.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 
zoragen

Good luck.

When I had a frog in w/ a betta (3 gal) it was VERY hard to feed him.

I was using pellets (made for frogs) - I even taped some to a ruler to get it down to him

I finally gave up & moved him to his own tank.

My betta was a hog (many are) and I got tired of trying to keep the food away from him.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #6 
thegameksk

What are the frog pellets you use called? How do you get them down to him?

If I would be able o find sinking food, how would I keep a bowl at the bottom of the tank? Wouldnt it float up?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #7 
Capricorn

Most pet stores sell small ceramic dishes, you'd probably find them in the reptile section. They'd be heavy enough to keep them at the bottom of the tank.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #8 
CataclysmKitten

I ended up feeding my ADF bottom feeder tablets... That's what they got in the pet store, so I continued on that, since the frog wouldn't come up to eat. I don't know how nutritional that is or anything, but it worked for my frog.
CataclysmKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #9 
thegameksk

I picked this up from the fish store:
http://www.petco.com/product/111819/...t=OnSiteSearch

I fed some of it to my frogs but they didnt even move the food is really small. I think im going to get a ceramic dish and put the food in there and hope it works
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 
fishman12

good luck
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote