Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #11 
naturegirl243

Oh and I am adding more plants and hiding places like I already said.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #12 
doggyhog

Looks nice, Remember to literally STUFF it with plants!!!! Just pack it full. It really helps. The girls really do claim every bit of space in the tank, so just watch them and make sure no one is getting bullied. (I had a girl get bullied and killed before, so be careful)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #13 
Zeetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl243 View Post
Ok here goes. I know off course I have to cycle the tank first.Then I know that I have to get the females used to each other before "putting a bunch in there" When I get the new girls I have to QT them for at least two weeks. Then when the tank is cycled and the girls are ready to go in I put them all in IN THERE CUPS so they are not free yet let them float in there for about 30 minutes then let the LEAST aggressive female out first.So we fast forward all the girls are in there and there will be some nipping to establish a pecking order(just like with horses and most other animals) I will keep an eye on them for a couple hours and make sure things don't get crazy if there is one female who is super aggressive I take her out and keep her seprate maybe try again some other time.Being me I will keep an eye on them for days lol.So how did I do? Did I pass your test?
I'd say you passed. And its good that youre adding more plants and hiding spots, it will help keep aggresion down cause they wont be in eachothers face all the time and they wont fight over hiding spots.
Zeetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #14 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl243 View Post
Ok here goes. I know off course I have to cycle the tank first.Then I know that I have to get the females used to each other before "putting a bunch in there" When I get the new girls I have to QT them for at least two weeks. Then when the tank is cycled and the girls are ready to go in I put them all in IN THERE CUPS so they are not free yet let them float in there for about 30 minutes then let the LEAST aggressive female out first.So we fast forward all the girls are in there and there will be some nipping to establish a pecking order(just like with horses and most other animals) I will keep an eye on them for a couple hours and make sure things don't get crazy if there is one female who is super aggressive I take her out and keep her seprate maybe try again some other time.Being me I will keep an eye on them for days lol.So how did I do? Did I pass your test?
Yes, good job!! Well i would change just a couple of things, well not change it but make better. I would float them all for about 15 minutes not a whole 30 minutes. Also you will not know which ones are too aggressive with being in the cup, so just release all at one time and then watch them carefully!!

If about 2 or 1 of them get too aggressive remove one or them both then try again or try re-arranging the tank so they could claim their territory also you will need sub-fish, because if its just females they will just be looking to get each other. So get a couple of neons or other small fish so the females are a bit distracted from E/O(each other).

You have the idea of it and that is very good!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #15 
naturegirl243

Yay thank you guys I am so excited can't wait for it to cycle now! bettalover I figured when they were all around each other I would at least be able to see who is the most aggressive but we will see when the day comes. Also What do your guys petstores use to test water if you know? I saw a girl testing it at petsmart and she just used strips, I have strips but I want something better, I might take it to petco and see what they use.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #16 
naturegirl243

So I have not been posting alot in here at all but I have been coming on a little I got a job so I have been busy.So here is an update my tank is still cycling but the plants started dying so I took them out and put them in there own vase with the roots in water and the leaves in the air,I don't think they are full aquatic plants I still have the moss ball in the tank and it is doing fine I added more fake plants and did a 30% change today. It only has two hides in it cause we are debating what other ones to get I bought a thrid one but it's to big to fit and to make room for another one so Anardil has it.Also I got a master test kit so I can test for everything now I tested the water today after the water change and the ammonia was a 1.0 is that to high I am pretty sure it's too high but I don't know.I will try to take a picture of my redecorated tank cause I had to move stuff around I have to find my camera first.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #17 
Alex09

I KNOW for a certainty that the plant on the left is not aquatic. The plant on the right im not so sure. It looks like a peace lilly (which isnt aquatic either) but its hard to tell. When it comes to big chain stores you have to do your research on plants as half the plants they sell arent even aquatic.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #18 
peaches3221

wow! that was a good deal! you are going to have some very happy bettas in there!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #19 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
I KNOW for a certainty that the plant on the left is not aquatic. The plant on the right im not so sure. It looks like a peace lilly (which isnt aquatic either) but its hard to tell. When it comes to big chain stores you have to do your research on plants as half the plants they sell arent even aquatic.
Yeah the plant on the left I never really thought was after I got it but it was still pretty fine the plant on the right which I though would be ok and was really nice actually did the worst half it's leaves turned yellow.I feel like a bad plant owner.But I still have one plant left in my 5 gal. thats still alive but I got it in a tube not a tank and I was about 90% sure it's aquatic so hopefully it stays alive.I don't think I am going to put live plants in this tank for awhile cause I can't afford to have more plants that are going to die I also don't have another vase for half dead plants lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope you can find your camera so we can see your tank and girls when you get them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote