Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #1 
LinuxTux37

Exclamation Sonic is Sick-came down fast

Ok so I just got home from my grandparents. I last saw sonic this morning, he was fine, seemed to eat all his food. Now his underbelly has lost all its color, and his head is losing it. Water is 77 F. Hasn't made a bubble nest in a while. Doesn't really move...just sits there. Moves if I provoke him, but just sits. Doesn't want to eat. No spots. Help-I don't know what to do. Ammonia is fine. Did water change couple days ago. I need answers quickly, please!
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Answer these please: We can better serve you this way. :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....e=0#post445177
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #3 
LinuxTux37

2.5 gallon tank. temp above. has filter. Has airstone (not turned on) not heated, too hot in house for heating. No tank mates. Pellets and bloodworms. Mostly pellets. 4 per meal. Morning and night. Pinch (I dont have allergic reaction) of bloodworms at norm. feeding times on saturdays. Always do full water changes. Add top fin conditioner. Testings are all ok. whiting and lazy. no appetite. noticed tonight. dont know how to treat. no illness history. got about 2 months ago from petsmart, so probably about 8 months. HELP! He's losing color fast and he's so colorful and amazing! His fins that drop from by his gills-whatever they're called-are swelling up. Not moving around, just sitting.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #4 
Ajones108

Could you provide a picture? Off the top of my head right now I can't think of what would be ailing him, but with a picture and any other details you could give (how often do you do water changes, what type of pellets, etc) then hopefully we can get enough information here for OFL or Adastra to see what they think it might be.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 
LinuxTux37

Can't get a picture-dont have my camera :( i feed him top fin betta pellets. weekly water changes. Top Fin freeze dried blood worms. His Front bottom half his now white. comes up to mouth and eyes. Constantly flaring. No reflections anywhere. Hiding in fake anubias and after couple of minutes sitting by filter output. Aqueon MiniBow 2.5. Never acted like this. Not coming to surface for air, instead getting "surface air) by sucking bubbles on rocks plants and filter. Seems kinda dizzy. Hugging the walls and floor. Trying to eat poop (not kidding. theres a small clump on the anubias leaf that he seems intent on chowing down on. Or playing with.). Seems like he's going insane. Pelvic fins 4 times normal width, very pinkish yellow (usually red). Acting disoriented.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #6 
Ajones108

While trying to help you with this right now, I am also having very odd, unusual behavior from my crowntail... been acting strange lately he has, flaring at air, still eating tons but also refused to come up for air a few minutes ago and I had to take his cave out of his tank. Trying to do a water change and he won't let me cup him. He's breathing heavily, sitting towards the bottom of the tank. -.- I just DID a water change, ammonia is 0ppm. I don't understand. What is with all of these strange, random deaths lately? Even Vaygirl noticed it. All we can really do is wait and see if someone more experienced than us comes around. ._.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #7 
Adastra

The only thing that can really devastate a betta that fast are shock from sudden changes, bacterial infections, and viral infections. If there's nothing you can think of that might have shocked him in some way (such as rapid temperature changes, changes in water parameters, and high stress situations like being out of water), you should consider a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment. You should read this article before you proceed: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa084 it will help you understand the risks of using antibiotics and how they work to help your fish overcome infection. Since we don't know what it is, you really just have to use your judgment and make the best guess possible, because at this stage "too late" approaches all too quickly, and loss of appetite in these situations is never a good sign.

Considering the interesting tidbit about the bubbles, you may also want to research the symptoms of Gas Bubble Disease--while I've never seen a case of it myself, if your tap water has a lot of nitrogen bubbles in it, and you just did a change, then that might be a factor to consider.

Bad luck does tend to come in waves, even I lost a perfectly healthy fish last week to what honestly appeared to be an aneurysm.. what are the chances of that..

Last edited by Adastra; 09-16-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #8 
Ajones108

I thought about putting some methylene blue in his water overnight and hospital-izing his tank. He's been getting pinholes in his fins but they heal quickly. I don't understand what's wrong. I'll check that link out. I just can't figure out what's going on with a lot of the things in here lately...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #9 
LinuxTux37

Thanks for the info, however, I'm not sure I really want to do that. I think I'll use a little conditioner, some stress coat, a tad stress zyme, and see what happens. If he really is critical, he will probably go during the night, and if he isn't, hopefully some of those things will work. At this point its really kinda worrying me cuz he's not being himself, and I'm sure putting them in will do more good than harm if they can help at all. I'll keep you updated.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #10 
LinuxTux37

Oh! Glorious Day!

The Slime Coat/Zyme took effect almost immediately! I was able to watch the color flush into him, he swam around, ate all the food sitting in his tank, fins turned normal color (but not size [yet]) and seemed happy! I don't know what it was, but it was invigorating to him obviously! I'll be keeping an eye on him, but I am so happy he survived! As a reward, I gave him a new fake plant from my sister's tank that he LOVES. So happy, so happy.