betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #1 
Mermaid Fish

Unhappy Do my bettas have finrot?

So here's Tranquil
Name:  100_7825.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  109.1 KB
As you can see the end of his tail is all split. :( Idk why but all od his other fins are fine.
And here's Twizzle
Name:  100_7841.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  96.8 KB
I think this was tails biting because it happend 2 times each with in an hour. I think I have some fin rot medication.
Thanks!
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #2 
Mermaid Fish

Someone answer me please!!!!
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Yeah, that's tail bitting not finrot.
Don't use any medication, just add a little bit of salt to their tanks for 10 days (1tsp per galon). They don't have fin rot yet so you just want to keep the water really clean and salted to prevent it and help healing.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

Twizzle's very cute. c:

Good luck getting them all healed up!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #5 
nochoramet

Twizzle definitely looks like he's fin biting. I'm not sure about the other guy, his tail is doing the same thing as my ZIM's tail... so Idk. They're both beautiful!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #6 
zelilaa

Tail biting tail biting tail biting =( its means your fish is STRESSED. uh oh! Have any ideas on what might be stressing them? deal with them. then review everything else. make sure theres no additional stress... that means no making them flare at a mirror or such. Make sure you turn the tank lights on/off at regular times every day.
Dont add any live things to your tank right now as they could hold infections or small bacteria that wouldnt harm the fish that orginially had it.. but could harm your betta since the stress easily harms their immune system. Plus, the tail biting isnt just tears.. think about it. Its like cuts. When anyone has cuts or scrapes or anything in their skin, it quadruples the chance of getting infected. My fish has the same problem of tail biting. I made sure I took care of everything stress- related, and he's recovering quickly and not biting much more. Make sure everything is extra- clean before adding it to the tank. Feed balanced diet.. preferably varied some with pellets or freeze dried blood worms. You could consider meds to help the tail heal and to take a further step against preventions, but I dont think its neccesary. Just an extra precaution ;) Be careful- good luck!

P.S)Wow... i sound like a know-it-all..... i don't mean to come off that way. Sorry! I just have some experience with it because of my fish George.. and I want to make sure your fish are o.k. You know I spent 30 dollars on a new tank and filter when George started tail-biting because I was so freaked out? I didn't know anything then. :[

P.S.S) Your fish are freaking gorgeous! :D
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #7 
CodeRed

Don't forget that sometimes fish just BITE. They don't have a reason for it, except for maybe they just like it shorter, or they turn and see FINS, attacking it because they think it's another male. Also, larger finned fish sometimes nip to relieve the weight, to make swimming easier. It's not always stress, just personality. YES, do everything you can to make sure stress isn't the cause, but don't beat yourself up or go crazy trying to figure out the reason. Just make sure the water is extra-clean at all times to be sure that this biting doesn't turn into fin rot (:
Good luck, and your boys are gorgeous!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #8 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Don't forget that sometimes fish just BITE. They don't have a reason for it, except for maybe they just like it shorter, or they turn and see FINS, attacking it because they think it's another male. Also, larger finned fish sometimes nip to relieve the weight, to make swimming easier. It's not always stress, just personality. YES, do everything you can to make sure stress isn't the cause, but don't beat yourself up or go crazy trying to figure out the reason. Just make sure the water is extra-clean at all times to be sure that this biting doesn't turn into fin rot (:
Good luck, and your boys are gorgeous!

Another great point :) thankkksss for adding this !
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #9 
fishman12

good luck!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote