Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #1 
PancakeTheBetta

Opinions? Help?

Hello betta fish community!
New member here, but I've been reading threads on this site for about a year or so now. I finally decided to join seeing as I am taking my betta hobby to the next level; breeding!

I'm going to be very picky, as any new materials and fish will be coming out of my own very small working student pocket xD but none the less. I was taught basic genetic tabling these past few years using betta genetics! So I am very excited to do my own mini-studying. I even saved our class test betta from being flushed once the experiment ended, his name being Pancake I thought it suiting to name this account after him. I love him to pieces, he is a about 2 inches long, royal blue veiltail male and I estimate him to be about a year old. I don't plan on breeding him, as he is past his prime and highly aggressive, even with the guppies in the tank beside his.

ANYWAY. Enough about me, I'm beyond interested in bettas. And I cannot wait to begin breeding them. I've begun culturing a few different species of shrimp for the future fry and have a spawn tank ready when I fond the perfect pair. I want to start with one of three ideas, I am thinking either an extended red x white(or cellophane/yellow dilute) crowntail pair, a red butterfly x turquoise iridescent halfmoon pair, or possibly a green x steel blue pair to get some pretty royals like Pancake. Opinions will be appreciated!!

ALSO- I found this interesting boy at petco the other day while I was picking up some things for my new tanks ^^ does anyone know what color he might be? He had a steel blue body, but the yellow on his tail and odd stripes on his dorsal fin threw me for a loop. I wish I had bought him, but like I said, I have a strict budget.
Attached Images

PancakeTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #2 
Jonthefish

Subscribing so I could hear more about this ! Can't wait !

Whatever cellophane/yellow dilute is it sounds cool !! xD

+1 vote for those crowntails !
Jonthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Assuming your goal is creating Royal Blue, only choice number 3 will work.
1 - extended red x white(or cellophane/yellow dilute) crowntail pair
2 - a red butterfly x turquoise iridescent halfmoon pair
3 - or possibly a green x steel blue pair

1 - red, cambodian and cambodian pattern, red-ish cambodian, grizzle, pastel like pattern, cellophane. Probably no white in F1.
2 - Both red-irid and irid red multis
3 - Royal blue, green/turquoise, steel blue

What color or tail type you choose is personal preference. Go with the ones you love best.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, colors, newbie