Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #11 
Ajones108

Oh my gosh I'm so exciteddd! <3

Day 2 - Eeeeee <3 NitrAItes. :D

Ammonia - 1.0 - 2.0ppm (Might add 1 drop)
NitrIte - Between 0 - 0.25ppm
NitrAte - Between 0 - 5.0ppm
pH - 8.1

I'm excited. With the plants and the filter and the Dr. Tim's and pure ammonia this baby should be ready for Shif at the end of the week. <3

Edit: Thank you very much Vaygirl. I'll start doing that just in case. I need to go to the store to get a sponge baffle for my filter anyhow. :) And thanks for the wisteria opinions guys, I'll definitely pick some up. <3
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #12 
Ajones108

Day 3 - <33333

Ammonia: 0.5ppm , adding a couple drops in a moment and doing another reading
pH: 8.2ppm
NitrIte: 0.5ppm - 1.0ppm
NitrAte: 5.0ppm

I'm ecstatic. <3
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #13 
Ajones108

Day 4 - Stalled?

Ammonia - 0.5ppm, added two drops now to get... 2.0ppm - 3.0ppm
NitrIte - 3.0ppm - 5.0ppm
NitrAte - 5.0ppm - 10.0ppm

NitrItes skyrocketed, nitrAtes skyrocketed... When will they start going down? Should I add more bacteria? My ammonia only looks a little lower than yesterday. I should be done with adding ammonia now until the end of the cycle... Once ammonia drops, nitrItes drop, and nitrAtes are I'll add two drops, and it should be gone the next day with nitrAtes, then do a 25% WC, test again, and it should be ready for Shif? Do I have this right? D:
Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #14 
Ajones108

Day 5 - Still stalled?

Tank temperature - 86*

Ammonia - 1.0ppm Went down overnight, good, but...

NitrIte - 5.0+ppm They're insanely high, and...

NitrAte - EDIT: Just kidding. My nitrAtes are 10ppm - 20ppm.

My nitrItes aren't going down, my nitrAtes aren't going up. I understand that some of the plants in my tank might be eating off some of the nitrAtes but the tank isn't planted enough to achieve this. Does anyone know if this is normal? Should I add more bacteria? Change some of the tank water? Bump down the temperature?

Last edited by Ajones108; 09-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #15 
Ajones108

Bump. Readings to come tonight. Still need answers to these questions. :)
Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

Sorry, Kiddo, I have never done a fishless cycle so I can't help ya with this one!!! :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #17 
vaygirl

I won't be much help either. All my new tanks were heavily seeded from my 16 and I didn't consciously cycle my 16. *shudder*
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #18 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I've never done a fishless cycle either. I cram my tanks full of plants, instant cycle. Hopefully someone will come along shortly who knows.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #19 
Lion Mom

OT, BUT - LOVE the Amazon, Aunt Kymmie!!! Is he yours? I have two Blue Crown Conures that I love to death, but their noise level at times CAN set a person's teeth on edge!!!! Also have a Green Cheek Conure & a rescue parakeet. My Blue Crowns are 17 & 19 years old - how old is the Amazon?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #20 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
OT, BUT - LOVE the Amazon, Aunt Kymmie!!! Is he yours? I have two Blue Crown Conures that I love to death, but their noise level at times CAN set a person's teeth on edge!!!! Also have a Green Cheek Conure & a rescue parakeet. My Blue Crowns are 17 & 19 years old - how old is the Amazon?
Yes, she's mine. She's 22 and she's (and forever will be) the only bird I'll ever live with. How can you even think straight with FOUR(!) birds in the house all squawking at once?? Toby is very well behaved but every once in awhile goes on a screaming jag. It's at those times I understand how someone could strangle their bird, lol.

Back to the topic at hand: Until someone jumps in with experience in regards to the fishless cycle using ammonia I lifted this from iamntbatman's stick on cycling.

The "Fishless Cycle" Using Pure Ammonia

This is the most precise method of cycling your tank. It is similar to the fish food and shrimp methods described above but the ammonia source is pure bottled ammonia. It is of utmost importance that you use only pure ammonia, not ammonia-based cleaning products that contain detergents, dyes, scents or any other chemicals as these can be harmful to your fish. How much ammonia to add depends on the concentration of the ammonia you're using but you want to add enough ammonia to bring the concentration of your tank to 3-5 ppm (this is usually 3-5 drops per ten gallons but can vary). Test the ammonia and nitrite levels every day, adding more ammonia daily as needed to keep the ammonia level at 3-5 ppm. Eventually, you'll notice that the ammonia concentration will start dropping, which goes along with an increase in nitrite. Continue dosing ammonia to the same concentration. Eventually, you'll reach the stage where enough ammonia added to bring the tank to a concentration of 3-5 ppm totally disappears within 24 hours, leaving you with nothing but nitrate. At this point the cycle is complete and you can proceed as above. The difficulty with this method is that testing and ammonia dosing have to be done at least daily. Pure ammonia can also be difficult to track down and the risks, should you use ammonia that contains other chemicals, are serious. Unlike the other methods, however, the pure ammonia method allows you complete control over the cycle and lets you know just how much ammonia your biofilter (i.e. the colonies of beneficial bacteria established during the cycle) can process in a given time period.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...#ixzz0zzPrQiJC
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote